Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-07-2007 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber

Hand Job

Hi
I am having a problem with a polygon hand I modeled. It seems that when ever I apply a texture to the model, it becomes distorted and parts of it becomes partly transparent.
Is this a modeling issue or just a texturing one?
Can the problem be solved without having to remodel?

Thanks.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:01 AM.
# 2 10-07-2007 , 06:03 PM
You probably didn't map out the uvs properly on the fingers and because of this, maya doesn't know how to apply the texture.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 3 10-07-2007 , 06:22 PM
I believe AnthonyCg is correct. Looks like it's your UV's. A quick test is to do an automatic UV on your hand, I'm betting the transparency will go away. If so, then just undo (Ctrl_Z) the automap and get to work on mapping the fingers like AnthonyCg suggested. Good luck!

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 11-07-2007 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
Yep, doing an Automatic Mapping on the hand did the trick.
the transparency went away too.
Thanks for the help.

# 5 12-07-2007 , 05:38 PM
Given the title of this thread, out of curiosity i need to ask. What are you making this hand do?

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 6 14-07-2007 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
lol

# 7 06-08-2007 , 09:58 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by kinddoggofwar
Given the title of this thread, out of curiosity i need to ask. What are you making this hand do?

Hahaha! yeah ... lol :p