Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-04-2008 , 05:01 AM

Sleeping Titan WIP light problem.

Hey everyone.

Sorry these may be quite large (PNG)

I have a specific problem with my work in progress, the last part of what I have is the lighting in sun and sky.

I reduced the gamma level in the camera attribute editor, and to be quite honest...... I can not reduce it much more without clipping off detail. Same with the light source's intensity.

The hills and the back of the titan are still too bright.

I am having the darnedest time fixing this.

On another note, these are my work in progress shots and example finish.

WireFrame

user added image

Texture/shading

user added image

Test final render

user added image

Last edited by Inland-Artist; 21-04-2008 at 05:12 AM.
# 2 21-04-2008 , 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
whats your lighting setup are you using mental rays physical sky? because the blown out areas are not just only on the hills, they're also killing the texture work on the titan guy. right now it seems as if you have a light source with a decay but its intensity is way to high.

- Genny
# 3 21-04-2008 , 10:09 AM
Subscriber
if I recall in your previous post of the titan you said you were using the physical sun/sky. If that is the case then you can adjust the intensity value of both the physical sun and of the directional light which controls it.

But please elaborate on the lighting setup you are using so we can help you find an accurate solve.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 4 21-04-2008 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
thats not the way to fix the problem!
MR sun and sky renders the gamma value twice! So the textures looks to bright and they lost there texture information! like when you film with video and the overlevel areas "burns" hope you understand what I try to explain!?!

the answer how I know is to go to Hypershade and put between every texture file node and shader node a gamma correct node and set the values for the gamma node to 0.45 for RGB values! Preset is 1. thats how humans see!
Also hypershade--- texturenode--gamma correct node 0.45-- shader node thats it