Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-08-2008 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber

Model loses shape after deleting faces!

I created a rough shape for a head and then selected the faces necessary to create an opening for the neck and hit Delete. The shape reverted back to its original cube-like shape. I immediately hit Undo and the faces returned however the head-like shape never returns! I continued to hit Undo and each time I did, the vertices returned to their original positions but the box remains.

Naturally, I had to start over, but just like before, as soon as I delete the faces, the result is the same ( as shown in figure 3).

I've never had a problem like this before. I quit Maya and opened files I recently created and performed the same operation and nothing like this happens. Could I have accidently turned on a preference setting or something for this particular Scene?

TIA
user added image

# 2 08-08-2008 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
I found, it doesn't matter what I do with this shape, it reverts to its original primitive form.

I tried Freeze Trans and same problem.

But, I created a new primitive and pushed & pulled a few vertices, switched to Faces and deleted one and the object held its shape!

So what is it about the head that causes it to lose its shape when I attempt to run a command on it?

Baffling...

# 3 08-08-2008 , 04:53 PM
Subscriber
Take a look at the Hypergraph Connections info for the head shape, which is indicated by the info circled in red. The purple connection is for the lantern-like shape I created.

The lantern shape was created from a poly sphere, wherein I deleted one of its faces and it maintained its shape.

user added image

# 4 08-08-2008 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
Okay, I think I've solved my problem...

I initially Set my project to point to the files associated with the particular tute I'm working with and that probably caused my problems.

I started over and created a New set of project files and the problem no longer occurs.

# 5 08-08-2008 , 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Could have been a history issue I dunno, never had that happen. /shrug

- Genny