Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-02-2009 , 03:53 AM
Subscriber

Maya Bridge + Smooth/SubD

Hi, I have a probleme with the subdiv, when I hit 3 on my keyboard or if I smooth my mesh within maya theres is strange topo artefacts that happen where I did a bridge on two edges.. My vertex are weld together and my normals are all facing in the same directions (outward). If I export my model to zbrush and re-import it, the artefacts are gone! Someone has an idea on whats happening and how to solve it?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 19-02-2009 , 06:48 AM
Try using 'Soften Edges' in the normals menu.

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 19-02-2009 , 08:56 AM
Senior Software Developer
The bridge tool may have set your face vertices to point directly forward, making the faces look like they are artificicicieded...

Import and export to and from Z kinda prooves it as the program will re evaluate the normals on import and hence when exported its fine.

Try BennyK's suggestion it should sort out the issues.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 19-02-2009 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the reply.

Yeah I tried soften edge, i do that each time I add new polys to my surface.

My normals seems to looks good.. no one is pointing inward the surface, but i'm steel getting the artifacts.?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 19-02-2009 , 04:42 PM
Try setting the vertices to faces on the problem area and see if that helps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 6 22-02-2009 , 05:37 PM
Subscriber
Someone had tha same problem than me. He told me that he use append to polygon instaid. It solve my problem. I think it's a probleme with the bridge tool.

# 7 22-02-2009 , 06:09 PM
The poly bridge tool is only designed to bridge a gap between 2 edges...

Poly Append Tool is for filling in where there are missing or removed polys.. So i agree delete the problem faces and use polygon append

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter