Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-12-2009 , 02:51 PM

A few questions

Hey there, i've recently got into the 3D world and I'm still not really sure on to what speciffic field I want to go to. I'd say either commercials or movies user added image . But anyway, I want to hear some advices on what books I should read and what softwares I should learn.
Now I already asked on the other forum topic and got some answers, now I just want to add some stuff that I would need or remove some stuff I don't really need. So here is my list:

Commercials/ Films

Software I should learn to use:

-Autodesk Maya
-Adobe After Effects
-Pixologic zBrush
-Adobe Photoshop
-Adobe Premiere

Books I should read:

Autodesk Maya:
Learning Autodesk Maya 2009/10: Foundation
Learning Autodesk Maya 2009/10: Modeling & Animation
Learning Autodesk Maya 2009/10: Special Effects
Mastering Maya
Maya Studio Projects: Dynamics Book/DVD Package

Adobe After Effects:
Adobe After Effects classroom in a book

Adobe Photoshop:
Adobe Photoshop classroom in a book

zBrush:
ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy Book/DVD Package
Essential ZBrush Book/CD Package
Character Modeling with Maya and ZBrush

Again, if you have any recommendations about other software I should learn or books I should read, please tell me. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Aurorap; 22-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
# 2 19-12-2009 , 07:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
I can't really recommend the autodesk maya foundation 2009 book. It's okay and goes through a lot of material, but there's lots of errors and omissions and at the end you may or may not have actually learned everything they were trying to teach. The projects go by fast and it's hard to really understand why certain things are done.

But I guess I have a neutral opinion, has good stuff, not so good stuff. I'm sure there's better books, but it's a decent starter. Haven't seen the other books. I recently got Maya Visual Effects: An Innovator's Guide, and though I haven't had a chance to go through it, it seems excellent, though it's above a beginner level I think.

Sorry can't be more helpful on this list. I only have a few books myself.

# 3 19-12-2009 , 10:48 PM
Oh, well thanks anyway!

# 4 20-12-2009 , 10:33 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
by the time you are done it would have cost you an arm and a leg i say go through the documentation practise alot and after that let digital tutors refine your skills

# 5 20-12-2009 , 11:17 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I don't think that I won't be able to read all those books user added image . If you're talking about learning all that software, well i'm not sure about that. Though if it's too much i'm most interested in making models and texturing.

# 6 22-12-2009 , 07:15 AM
If've found this book recently and it seems very interesting to me. Would anyone recommend it?

# 7 22-12-2009 , 09:21 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I think what murambi was saying was that, read the maya help files, and do some of the tutorials they have in the maya program, after learning the basics use some sort of digital format to continue your education. Like come here and use the tutorials or just google maya tutorials and you will find A LOT of information.

# 8 22-12-2009 , 09:27 PM
Nah don't worry dude i've studied the basics alot and watched alot of videos directly in maya and all the free tutorials on simply maya. At the moment i'm reading the Learning Maya Foundation book and i'm about halfway through. I just want to know which other books I should read when i'm done with this one user added image
Also i'm gonna buy some points on simply maya and get some good tutorials. All of a sudden i'm really into the world of 3D and I spend alot of my time studying maya. A while ago I was just making scenarios in a game editor and I was damn good. But then when a good friend told me about Maya and other software, I thought it was like taking my work in the game editor to a whole new level so I didn't hesitate trying. And he was right, you can make your dreams live with maya (and some other software).

Last edited by Aurorap; 28-12-2009 at 02:39 PM.
# 9 28-12-2009 , 02:49 PM
Could anyone also tell me what software I should learn if I would:
-Want to be a modeler
-Want to be an animator

Are there any other 3d artist jobs?
Also i've decided that after being kind of intermediate in all fields, I won't stay a generalist. I've been looking at VFS showreels and the comments and an instructor said: Studios are not looking for a hotshot generalist to employ, they're looking for a specified 3d artist that makes unbelievable work in his/her field.
I'm really tempted to become a modeller, but atm i'm not a real good drawer nor a sculptor. Though i'm already learning to draw.

I was thinking about the software I should use:
For Modeler:
-Maya (or Softimage XSI)
-ZBrush or Mudbox
-Adobe Photoshop
-Adobe Premiere Pro
-(Adobe After Effects?- not sure)

For Animator:
-Maya
-Adobe After Effects
-Real Flow?
-Adobe Premiere Pro

I guess I don't know sure, so could anyone correct my mistakes and help me add what I am missing? Thanks everyone.

# 10 28-12-2009 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber

Could anyone also tell me what software I should learn if I would:
-Want to be a modeler
-Want to be an animator

Basically its down to personnel preference, there is no magic software that will automatically get you a job in the industry, choose whatever you can work best in and produce the best results in.

For modeling, many companies now use Zbrush (or similar) to enhance their base models.

Nearly every app out there has trial versions and free versions (for example Maya PLE)
Use those to get a feel of which you can use with most ease. I have Maya, but have found recently that I can model more productively in Nevercenter's Silo. While there are no magic tools in Silo, I just find it suits my style more.

All you can do is go out and experiment.

# 11 28-12-2009 , 06:28 PM
ok thanks. Are for example maya models able to be imported into 3ds max and XSI and the other way around aswell ofc?

# 12 28-12-2009 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
most apps should handle the .obj file type