Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-02-2003 , 04:13 AM

A few random questions from a noob

Hey everyone! I am the latest Newbie. You guys have a ton of talent here and you seem friendly too user added image. Figured I would say hi and ask my questions.

1. I plan to attempt to model a B-17 aircraft after seeing the wonderful "ugly duckling". Most of the tuts I have done use NURBS. I was curious on your opinions on whether it would be easier with polys or NURBS.

2. As far as proper scale goes. Do most of you set the grid to inches or feet..ect and try to go with proper scale or do you just kinda eyeball it?

I am sure I will have more questions once I start working on my project. Aside from tuts this will be my first "solo" project. I have some good pics to go off of so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Anyway thanks for any info.

Spiffy

# 2 03-02-2003 , 04:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
welcome, spiffy. user added image

1. as everyone around here knows, I advocate polys, but some shapes could be done easily in nurbs. My medusa character, for example. The snake's teeth and the eyeballs etc are nurbs while the figure herself is polys.

2. I use the grid, but I don't really designate it as feet or inches or anything... I suppose it would be a good idea though. lol

Good luck with your project! user added image

# 3 03-02-2003 , 04:37 AM
Subscriber
As far as the grid goes, I usually try to not make any single scene much bigger than 3x the size of it. Otherwise, you get a slower frame rate. When actually modeling a scene however, I usually eyeball everything. When I'm done, I simply group every single object into one group and scale the group size down to whatever size I want. You don't want to include some thnigs in the group when if you want to scale it down, though like clusters for instance. If you scale those down I believe it will give you undesirable results in the end. And I consider the grid as "units."

# 4 03-02-2003 , 04:49 AM
Well the reason I ask about the grid is I am a detail kinda guy and like this to be fairly accurate. Some of th etuts I did were in the 4.5 fundamentals book and the set the grid units to inches. I was kinda helpful when scaling objects to fit in places.

# 5 03-02-2003 , 06:38 AM
Subscriber
I have come about issues where moving a vertice turns into an (noticable) incremental movement, where you can see the vertice kinda jumpt to its next location. I'm not sure why this is. I haven't bothered to figure it out.

Maybe it has something to do with me, setting the units to Centimeters and not Meters. OR maybe not.

So, I wonder, how do one change the accuracy, if you want your vertices and the like to be able to move with even less distance, than what seems possible at the present time!?!

About nurbs:
There are some issues you should know about to make you experience easier, when dealing with nurbs. I raise some issues for you.

1) A nurbs surface is always a foursided(edges) surface, with two directions on the surface, known as the U and V direction (which may be different from time to time, you may find it neccessary to reverse or switch these in due time, not a problem)

2) So if you cut into a nurbs surface, you "disturb" the flow of the surface, and maya does not let you attatch trimmed surfaces to each other. The solution is simple; project the curves you want to the surfaces, but wait with the trimming if you need to attatch the nurbs-surface to an other one.

OR do the trimming (if you are eager to see a result) + use the "untrim" tool to remove the holes (you get to keep your surface curves!) + attatch the appropriate four sided nurbs-surfaces + and finally use the trim tool to get the shape/form you want.

3) Nurbs-surfaces is hell to texture, if I have understood it right. As you cannot project, say a drawing, directly onto a surface, like you can with polys (planar prjojection), you need to convert the nurbs-surface to polys later on.

This isn't that hard. The latest update on the ugly duckling is 95% polys.

I made an effort to keep the nurbs-surfaces together, so that I didn't need to concern myself too much, about stitching the poly-surfaces together later on. The (trimmed )wing was one nurbs-object. Converting it was a real joy user added image

4) Having the history button enabled, you can make a nurbs-surface, in any way, and adjust its constitutive curves, and see the newly created nurbs-surface adjust itself after the curves. If you delete the history (delete by type --> history) you loose the ability to modify the shape in the way mentioned above.

5) Although it takes some practice (imho) you can manipulate a nurbs-surface in amazing ways, e.g by pulling cv's.

6) The surface tools for nurbs, may give you some headache, but I trust you can use any other tool if your first choice turns out to be too difficult to use. EDIT: Scrap this, I cannot promise anything here, but I usually find a way out.

7) Curves are a part of the nurbs modeling. Just post the question if there is something that doesn't work the way you want user added image

There are easy solutions to newbie problems

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!

Last edited by undseth; 03-02-2003 at 06:44 AM.
# 6 04-02-2003 , 09:09 PM
Ok got another question. Can you mirror a structure that you created using lofted curves? I have created a tailwing on one side and would like to duplicate it to the other side and keep the same profile. If you use the duplicate and change the translate then my top becomes the bottom on the other side.

Thanks

# 7 04-02-2003 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
If it is important to keep the history on, on BOTH of the two lofted surfaces, then I suggest that you simply mirror the curves, and loft it on both sides as usual.

Else, since you can mirror the surfaces to the other side...
Delete the history "Delete by type -->History", and delete transformations "FreezeTransformation", in order to make Maya mirror over an axis, which is reset, when you freeze the transformations.

Hope this helps

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!