Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-01-2010 , 10:44 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Lighting and Material Practice

So I wanted to practice lighting effects and glass shaders, it looks kind of weird and the material i used for glass seems to be acting kind of funny on the blue pawns. I am using the dielectric material for the glass which is on all the pawns and board, I do plan on finisihing off the rest of the chess peices but trying to get my glass and lighting down first.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-01-2010 , 11:11 AM
good work.......
please tell me how to apply glass shader.....

# 3 16-01-2010 , 12:06 PM
Subscriber
the member bennyK did a really nice chess piece render, you should see what he did (just do a search for chess and bennyk and gect, if i remeber right she told him a lot of useful stuff)

if i remember right again his chess pieces looked kind of like glass (cant remeber if they were or not)

otherwise that's an interesting start

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 16-01-2010 at 12:08 PM.
# 4 17-01-2010 , 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Ozgalis, could you show a screen grab of the blue glass's AE? Also I don't think the tracing in the render settings and/or the light are high enough to accommodate all the refractions, or even your shadows because the pawns' shadows aren't showing under the chess board. Also, even if you're just sitting them inside a box or sphere or something, it will make the reflections/refractions look better than floating around in empty space.

- Genny
# 5 17-01-2010 , 12:30 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
# 6 17-01-2010 , 06:22 AM
3ddon: the items circled are what i used for the glass, you need to right click where it says mental ray on mine and change it to mental ray. Im not all to sure if this is the correct way to make glass either.

Chirone: Thanks, elephantinc grabbed it for me (thanks ele)

GecT: I think this is what you wanted? i just assumed AE meant Attribute Editor. My original thought was to make it more of a blue smokey looking glass but kind of like the effect I got...defiantly want to make it look cleaner though

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ozgalis; 17-01-2010 at 06:24 AM.
# 7 17-01-2010 , 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Yep that's what I meant. Try using the "Col" attribute to determine the color of your glass instead of the "Outside color" or you'll get that overly saturated look. There are different ways to make glass, blinn, dielectric, mia_mat whatever as long as it looks right and is not unreasonably impractical it doesn't matter, that's my motto user added image.

- Genny
# 8 17-01-2010 , 07:38 AM
Nice thanks will look into that in a few, just got off of maya was messing around with the chess board and dont think i like what i did....also would you suggest the mental ray lights? i just noticed there were some.

Last edited by Ozgalis; 17-01-2010 at 07:55 AM.
# 9 17-01-2010 , 10:21 AM
Little update, changed the outside color like you suggested GecT and it looks a whole lot better, changed the lighting a little bit to. Just using 2 spot lights...not sure if i like the shadows it has though so might need to mess around a bit with the lighting yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 17-01-2010 , 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Did you change the "Outside color" back to white ( or at the very least something far less saturated because with that shader a little goes a long way) and then change the "Col" to blue? Just putting that out there in case you don't want the glass to look as saturated as it does at the moment. As far as the MR lights, hey go for it, but to be honest I don't know if anyone uses say the mib point, spot and infinite lights instead of the regular Maya ones.

- Genny
# 11 18-01-2010 , 05:34 PM
Yea i changed the outside color to white and the Col to blue, i was messing around with the reflective index a little bit to see what happen with it. Alright, I might just screw around with it to check them out...as for if i use them or not then...will decide after i learn to use them lol.