Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 04-08-2011 , 10:26 PM

Thanks for the comments speedy and nuke. I definitely prefer to work on paper before I work in Maya. It's soooooooo much faster to make changes on paper.

I typically start off writing all my thoughts down on paper in words. It's the easiest and quickest way to work on my concept. Once I'm happy with my idea, I start sketching out the different items that I wrote down so I can see it visually. Sketching is fast so if I don't like anything, I can just erase and sketch again. Once I'm happy with my sketches visually, then I start modeling in Maya. Once I'm ready to jump into Maya, I already know "exactly" what I'm going to do and "how" i'm going to do it and "what" it's going to look like. It takes more time up front but I think it really pays off in the end. Overall, I spend alot less time on my projects this way.

You work like I do user added image I do the whole brainstorming words /objects to doodles to 3d work user added image All looks cool so far.

# 32 05-08-2011 , 01:04 AM
Ok, I'm going to go a whole different direction. I'm just not liking the visual appeal of my current concept. I think the "wow" factor is lacking way too much. I have a new idea now, so back to square 1. I'll try and post some new sketches tomorrow. I think I can do "outside the box" and still have a functional office.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 33 05-08-2011 , 01:39 AM
I'm so loving my new concept ALOT. I will give you a clue...Lava lamp. I'm totally stoked and can't wait to show you user added image.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 34 05-08-2011 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber
have you made everything out of lava lamp...?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 35 05-08-2011 , 03:22 PM
Here's my new concept which I think is way more fun. It's a large open office space for cg artists. The room is inspired by lava. There's a huge lava lamp from floor to ceiling in the corner. Near the lamp is a meeting area where people can share their storyboards and have other discussions. There are two levels of bookshelves and to access the top level, you have to cross a rope bridge. You can't see it but to get up to the rope bridge you go up steps that resembles a rock mound (sort of) but it's just black carpeted organic shapped steps (hard to explain). The main floor is black glossy granite with orage tile in shapes of cracks. The walkway is laid in removable sections. Why? Because it's broken up sand-blasted black granite laid on top of plexiglass and grouted with a clear polyurethane. Under the plexiglass is reddish orange lighting to give a subtle but super cool lava effect. There's a recessed area in the floor which will have orange carpeting and contain desks with cool rock like dividers. There's also a seating area which will have couch, bean bags, seating cubes, couple of tables, etc. The walls are mostly grey. At the top of the walls, lava is painted so that it looks like it's coming down the walls. There's a huge sky light. It's the opening of the volcano sort of speak. I'll probably break up the area with various types of cool dividers. I'm also probably going to have a hallway underneath the rope bridge to add a little more character to the room. Either that or some mirrors.

My goal is to make the office space very creative, fun, and unique. I want it to be original and functional. Hope you like it.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 36 05-08-2011 , 03:42 PM
Cool user added image ! Major bump up in the "Wow" factor!

Edit;
Don't forget to add the giant screen flat tv in the hang out area (with a game console & dance pad user added image) <--just a bit o' fun, your new design looks excellent & certainly doesn't need that.

Last edited by joshpurple; 05-08-2011 at 03:54 PM.
# 37 06-08-2011 , 03:15 AM
Working on the floor a little.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 38 06-08-2011 , 03:50 AM
Acid44
Concept looks great man! Model looks great so far too

# 39 07-08-2011 , 03:20 PM
Thanks Acid.

Did some more work on the floor. I didn't like the look I originally had planned for the walkway. Just didn't look right. So I'm tried a couple of other ideas. Also, instead of using carpet for the resessed area, i'm using a few different color shades of tile.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 40 07-08-2011 , 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Digging the concept, it has a kind of creative "lair" feel to it. One thing bothering me with the model so far is the thickness of the tiled floor. It's making the scale seem a bit on the small side.

- Genny
# 41 07-08-2011 , 05:26 PM

Digging the concept, it has a kind of creative "lair" feel to it. One thing bothering me with the model so far is the thickness of the tiled floor. It's making the scale seem a bit on the small side.

Are you refering to the thickness of the tiles or the size of the step going down to the resesses part of the floor? The tiles are 3/8" thick and there's a 5.5" step down to the resessed part of the floor. Tiles are also 12"x12". The room is about 40'x40'.

Exceed Expectations!
# 42 07-08-2011 , 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
The step down.

- Genny
# 43 07-08-2011 , 09:14 PM
Here's a sketch of my wall Art. Hopefully I can do it justice in gimp.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 44 07-08-2011 , 09:20 PM

The step down.

Ah ok, hopefully it won't seem as small once the furniture gets put in. 5.5" is pretty small for a step down or whatever it's called so I'm hesitant to make it any smaller.

Exceed Expectations!
# 45 07-08-2011 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
tiles for the floor huh? if you have one of those office chairs with the wheels you'll go really fast!
... and then probably hurt yourself when you go over that edge onto the carpet

i'd have fun in that office! user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D