Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-10-2011 , 07:36 AM
Subscriber

Displacement map question

Hello everyone,

I was playing with Mudbox a bit to make sculpted hair for my human male/COH character. I've sculpted the mesh and managed to make a normal map and a displacement map. I've managed to get the normal map to work but for some reason when I use a displacement map it increaces the size of the hair mesh. I've included a picture below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I'm using two different phongs to experiment between normal mapping and displacement mapping. I'm not trying to use both maps on the same shader.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 06-10-2011 , 03:19 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm maybe you can lower the alpha offset on the file node and bump up the alpha gain to compensate.

- Genny
# 3 06-10-2011 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the tip GecT! That worked out great! I did a little extra research to help me understand why it was doing that. Apparently Mudbox makes its base color for no displacement as 50% Grey where Maya wants it black.

Thanks again!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 4 14-02-2013 , 06:31 PM
Yeah, you have to be a little careful when porting maps between programs. I believe mudbox does that to give relative displacement in both directions. The typical issue that happens when you say black is 0 displacement is that you can only displace parallel to the normal (up or out), using 50% gray gives you the ability to displace either way (though you have to play with the settings in maya).