Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-10-2011 , 02:33 AM

Maya smooth preview help

Just practicing some high poly modeling but im having issues with creating smoothed holes on a angle.
As you can see in the middle picture, the holes are smoothed but are giving the suface bumps.
And thoughts?

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-10-2011 , 04:10 AM
EduSciVis-er
I'm fairly sure ctbram has done a couple thorough and helpful replies and tutorials on this. Can't locate them at the moment, but give a search, or I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

# 3 12-10-2011 , 04:13 AM
Thanks Stwert, I was searching for them myself...

I explored putting holes in cylinders a couple years ago. The idea was to create the clean topology in a plane and then use the bend deformer to roll it into a cylinder.

Here is a link to the thread.

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33378

There are a couple of video links in there that demonstrate the process.

I made a couple versions as I explored different ways to lay out the topology. These were made a couple years ago and I was just figuring out how to use camtasia and they were not meant to be polished in any way.

Here is a topology that has a punched hole affect...

maya holes in cylinder tut wNarration - YouTube

This is a method that produces a more uniform drilled and smooth affect...

hole in cyl tut2 web - YouTube

and here is a muzzle break example that uses a boolean approach ...

muzzle and heat sync final - YouTube

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 13-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
# 4 13-10-2011 , 12:30 AM
Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe a bend deformer or somethink like that. *though i havent used it before.
When i get a chance ill post my results.

Thanks again.