Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 16-01-2009 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber

STILL WAITING!!

Hi All,

Well 3 weeks ago I purchased the Speeder Tutorial from Simply Maya and I am still waiting for files so that I can continue with the tutorial.

I think I have been patient enough 3 WEEKS I have been waiting, I have recieved a link for the scene files but still do not have any of the texture files that are used in the tutorial.

After several PM messages to David and an email to Jay I am still waiting.

This is not really good enogh to be honest as I bought the tutorial in good faith under the impression I could complete it without delay.

Please can you sort this out ASAP as I am sick of waiting with no response.

Sorry to be abrupt here but I have just had enough. If you cannot provide the tutorial files please can you credit my account with the respective points.

Thanks

Mithandra

# 2 16-01-2009 , 10:28 AM
The Nurb Herd

# 3 16-01-2009 , 10:37 AM
SM Tea Boy
Hi,

As I told you we do not normally provide texture files I will ask Jay if he will allow me to release them to you.

We have never provided textures with the tutorials however as you and I'm sure other members would find it useful we shall start to do this in the future.

Sorry for your delay i have left a message for jay to view this thread.

David

PS you can talk yo me directly on skype ID daivd.james.rutter

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"

# 4 16-01-2009 , 10:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
send me your UVs and i'll make a texture user added image

# 5 16-01-2009 , 01:06 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With regard to files being supplied, I only provide image references, images for modelling and the scene files. Myself and the Admin have never provided Texture Files for the tutorials. Everything else is included to help you along.

even if I were to provide textures for you they wont actually fit your models uv layout being due to the fact your model will differ in areas over mine.

As David has said there could be a chance to provide them in future, but not at this moment.

Do you not have photoshop to create your own textures?

and could you send me your original message, the only one I recall is on your thread

Jay

# 6 13-10-2011 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber
OK thanks Jay, might be a good idea to not produce images and adverts with textures applied as this would give the wrong impression to the user / prospective buyer.

Like buying a brand new metallic red car which turns up without any paint on it lol

thanks thought excellent tutorial.

cheers Mith

# 7 13-10-2011 , 03:08 PM
Well the idea is to create your own textures that's why the tutorial is taught that way, to show you a finished product and what you can achieve.

As myself and David said, I only provide the scene files, have done and always will. Peoples textures and uv layout will be different every time so its pointless.

You have to look at a tutorial as more of a guideline rather than the rule as there is always going to be a different way to do something.

We advertise what is seen on the tutorial and not what we deem to provide with it.

thanks...

and Ive had no emails regarding this issue from you either -not that I can recall.

Jay

# 8 13-10-2011 , 04:42 PM
Senior Software Developer
Jay I have a few of the SM tutorials and only the texture tutorials provide textures. The modelling ones are only modelling, that's how always understood it to be. Examples would be the T-Tex and Science Lab both had separate texture tutorials.

R@nSiD (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

# 9 13-10-2011 , 05:00 PM
Hey Ransid

Long time mate user added image

Yeah but we don't normally provide them - never have - see above comment by David

I stand by those comments -

anyway onwards no point stirring up a hornets nest.

Jay

# 10 13-10-2011 , 05:08 PM
Lifetime Member
In the spirit of learning no tutorials should come with textures or models.

The purpose of the tutorial is to be able to watch it, replicate it, and then using what you learned create you own. Tutorials are just teaching the workflow and how to avoid some of the common mistakes they aren't supposed to just spoon feed you everything or you will never learn and never be able to complete your own work.

Work on making your own textures like Jay said even if they provided the texture file it wouldn't fit your model the same way.

Jake