Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 02-05-2013 , 11:32 AM
Noober than noob

I thought you meant like this mate...to start with..

cheers bullet

What shader did you use on that one? I'm trying to use the path material at the moment, but for some reason it keeps giving off a reflection that I cannot turn off.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 02-05-2013 , 11:47 AM
Lifetime Member
mia material x

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 02-05-2013 , 11:53 AM
Noober than noob
I found leather material to be quite good as a bumpmap. I just need to adjust the lights for this one:

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 02-05-2013 , 12:17 PM
Lifetime Member
I think I used noise.....cant remember. Hotmix itself doesnt have a bump...more cracks...very tiny ones.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 02-05-2013 , 12:59 PM
Noober than noob

I think I used noise.....cant remember. Hotmix itself doesnt have a bump...more cracks...very tiny ones.

cheers bullet

I tried out the omni light... and failed to make it cast proper shadows. X_X I don't get it, the spotlight casts perfect shadows with the same settings, but omni just casts opaque shadows...
And it doesn't show the bump map too well either, the default light showed it better...
Also, I cannot find a good road reference, and I have a feeling that I've made the road too narrow.

Directional light doesn't work too well either...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 02-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.
# 21 02-05-2013 , 01:32 PM
Lifetime Member
Standard estate roads are 6.0m wide, kerbs are 0.15 at the back and 0.05 face at front. Hydrants are approx 2 per 50 lots...so 1 per city block. Kerbs are extruded in real life...not cast and set like stonemasons anymore.

Use MR and a physical sun...multi down around 0.75 and intensity about the same. reduce the angle of the sun for a mid arvo look. Set path reflections to a blue etc..sec.

Cheers Bullet

bullet1968

# 22 02-05-2013 , 01:42 PM
Noober than noob

Standard estate roads are 6.0m wide, kerbs are 0.15 at the back and 0.05 face at front. Hydrants are approx 2 per 50 lots...so 1 per city block. Kerbs are extruded in real life...not cast and set like stonemasons anymore.

Use MR and a physical sun...multi down around 0.75 and intensity about the same. reduce the angle of the sun for a mid arvo look. Set path reflections to a blue etc..sec.

Cheers Bullet

Thank you for the dimensions and statistics. So if i convert that to cm, I guess it will look like a miniature version of it.

I was used to those kerbs since my street basically has them. -.-
My street also has some major craters, but that's another story...
The usual Romanian street (taken off google images):
user added image
This one too:
user added image
I find this one funny:
user added image

I should check google Earth for streets in America though.

Where do I find the physical sun / sky and other things? I saw them somewhere but I forgot where...
They're not in lights list from what I see.

# 23 02-05-2013 , 02:09 PM
Lifetime Member
In the render settings...set to mental ray and create a physical sun

bullet1968

# 24 02-05-2013 , 02:12 PM
Lifetime Member
here you go...aim for something like this...or...go walk the streets of a city and get the light data user added image

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 25 02-05-2013 , 02:15 PM
Noober than noob

In the render settings...set to mental ray and create a physical sun

Now it looks more realistic. I need to work on the kerbs though. And sun position and intensity. Then buildings.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 02-05-2013 , 02:22 PM
Lifetime Member
have fun...@wizard, try to find that cityscape thingy....I will have a crack at looking tomorrow

@silver : have fun

bullet gone fishing

the last image you put in looks like a sewer lid in the wrong spot user added image

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 02-05-2013 at 02:27 PM.
# 27 02-05-2013 , 02:35 PM
Noober than noob

have fun...@wizard, try to find that cityscape thingy....I will have a crack at looking tomorrow

@silver : have fun

bullet gone fishing

the last image you put in looks like a sewer lid in the wrong spot user added image

Thank you for showing me how to use the sun light, this is going to speed up my work with that fish and fish tank scene by a lot.
I've never seen the renderer going this fast while having nearly realistic shadows and at 1024 resolution. O.o

And yes, it is a sewer lid (and a sewer most likely) in the wrong spot. I've seen a bar (and I mean the place where people drink alcohol etc) with a tree growing through it and towering above the bar. That was in the township where my grandmother lives. Lol.

# 28 14-05-2013 , 06:46 PM

I feel your pain and please do not take what I said the wrong way. To make that on your own...have a look at R.O.S.A I believe that took 12 months or more solid by one person. No offense...but if you have a terminal illness (depending on severity) then maybe you should just sit back and enjoy the fruits of others labour user added image watch a film or 3...paint...fish....do something f*****g crazy.

Silver...are we talking real type streets? Unless you have a library of assets this will take more than a minute? surely? You have kerb profiles, pavemant etc etc Im curious now.

Cheers bullet

Oh, I don't let the TI get me down too much. I have my days that I feel abrasive and sorry for myself.
I was just curious about some of the 'behind the scenes' things. I've seen videos on YouTube where they show people working on these SFX and screen shots but you never see the initial (meaning first primitive drawn) to the finished project - especially for complex scenes.

I am aware of rendering times and things like that - that's why they have giant server farms to do that.
I consider that almost like a Post Production thing. All of the wireframes, rigging, animation, camera moves, texture mapping, lighting is already (at least to my understanding) is in place. Rendering is now applying the math and ray tracing and caustics and other factors to make it more real.

For me its about the process of building something like that.

I'm NOT trying to break into the industry or even want to do it as a hobby. I just like to tinker a little bit.

Thanks, everyone for all of the replies.

I looked at ROSA. WOW!
Ok, I write / create complex Database Applications. I recently wrote one, by myself, that took more than two years to complete. BUT - that was after having many thousands of hours of experience doing that for the last 30 or so years.

I also played drums professionally and I could learn complex songs or create complex solos - but that too, was after many years of experience.

ROSA is a short film it has a storyboard, it has music, it has the physical world and animations within that.
I can't even being to comprehend that level of sophistication using any products to create that.

I marvel at humanity every day and what people can accomplish when they are not in pursuit of $$$ and waging wars.

Last edited by wizarddrummer; 14-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
# 29 14-05-2013 , 06:59 PM

here you go...aim for something like this...or...go walk the streets of a city and get the light data user added image

cheers bullet

Now that's really cool.

# 30 14-05-2013 , 07:01 PM

cheers bullet

Seriously??
These are real photos? LOL or someones great imagination with Maya.