Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-09-2013 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber

Renderlayers / contribution maps

Hi! I just watched the dark art of mental ray and i had some questions about it. Usually when i do a render i use the photographic lens and i gamma correct all my textures. But when rendering out contribution maps do i need to delete the lens and remove the gamma correct in order to get the same render out?

Cause i did 2 renders to compare. The first one was straight out of Maya with lens + gamma corrects. And the second i did in passes/contribution maps with the same lens shader/gamma corrects but the result was very different

# 2 22-10-2013 , 05:59 AM
Hmmm...! I cannot help you...!

# 3 22-10-2013 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber
Without having watched the tutorial, my guess would be you need to use the Mia Photographic for the beauty, diffuse, spec, reflection, shadow etc.. but not for AO or Depth and other such passes as these you could render with the Scanline and save on the render times also.

I might be wrong, further insight into this would be useful knowledge. Always thought about getting that tutorial, do you recommend it?

# 4 22-10-2013 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, turns out a bit weird with the photographic on tho. Looks decent with gamma corrects still on. Absolutely! It's a really good tut. I only misses that part user added image