Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-01-2014 , 06:46 PM
Subscriber

Unexplained light

Hi, I wonder if anyone can tell me what's going on here. I've modeled a street scene and I want to render it out as a night scene, lit by the light sources you see in the scene. I've used mia material x throughout and am using Mental Ray Final Gather to render. To give an impression of rooms through windows I have created simple box shapes textured with images of room interiors. What's troubling me is that though there aren't any light sources in the rooms the images they are textured with are bright and are filling the scene with unwanted light. I can't explain why they are bright at all, seeing as I have turned off all the lights in the scene and turned off the default light in render settings. Any ideas?

# 2 02-01-2014 , 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Any screenshots?

- Genny
# 3 02-01-2014 , 07:39 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
if it final gather the bright areas of the images are picking up and illuminating stuff, just dial back the color gain

# 4 03-01-2014 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm rather embarrassed to admit that in the course of doing some quick renders to show you I discovered there was a lone point light hidden in my complex scene which I had failed to spot before. Once this was turned off the scene becomes totally black as expected. Apologies for wasting your time.