Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-01-2014 , 04:33 PM

Tv

Hi Im struggling with a few things on this tv

I have inner panels which have a bevel on the edge and an inset.

I cant seem to get the correct topology for these inner pieces.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 29-01-2014 , 04:34 PM
Also not sure how to get the bulge on the glass screen.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 29-01-2014 , 04:57 PM
I guess its a little difficult to understand what Im on about, but I've started to just work on the panel - without putting the bevel on the outer edge. this seems to make it a bit easier.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 29-01-2014 , 05:40 PM
Subscriber
Hehehe I know this TV from my earlier years. But it looks very great for me. Awesome, was just laughing when I realized the model of the TV ;-)
It looks very great already!!!!
The bulge maybe I would try to smooth the area and then pull it with tool settings "soft selection"???

# 5 29-01-2014 , 06:00 PM
Subscriber
Well to be fair you have modeled the area with out the curved corners and you hoping smooth mess will do the work for you. If you want a rounded edge build one not a 90' corner - then once you got the shape right you can make the insert.

# 6 29-01-2014 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
Maybe this will help you sort it out - Normal and Smooth preview modes plus front and rear

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 29-01-2014 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
And just to quickly finish it off - really hope it helps

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 29-01-2014 , 07:52 PM
Technical Director
You can use the soft mod tool or a sculpt deformer to create the bulge.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 9 30-01-2014 , 12:25 AM
Thanks fellas, and tweetytunes for those examples - they really help.

I'll tackle it again tomorrow

NextDesign: not sure I've used the sculpt deformer before - I presume it pushes and pulls the points, do you go into a sculpt modeling window or something?

# 10 30-01-2014 , 12:27 AM
By the way, its actually very tricky to get the black panel all working.

It looks dead simple, but the panel has two parts extruded out of it, one is rounded corners for the screen the other has straight edge.

# 11 30-01-2014 , 03:06 AM
Technical Director
Hopefully you're not building it out of a single piece. Use multiple pieces, as it keeps the number of edge loops down, and you can hide the pieces you don't care about at the moment.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 12 30-01-2014 , 12:31 PM
Ya I came to that conclusion a bit late.

# 13 30-01-2014 , 09:14 PM
starting to get there, rendered in cinema 4d.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 30-01-2014 , 11:21 PM
Lifetime Member
NOt bad mate. Im with ND and Tweety, a lot of people try to model in one piece, this is no good for most things. You can always join parts together....and hide them as ND said

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 15 31-01-2014 , 09:53 PM
You should decide if youre going to use subdivision modeling or polygonal first. If you go polygonal bevels on corners will work with high segments for better round corners in render. If you smooth bevels, since you have more than 4 sided polygons in corners it will always give you the deformed mesh result. If you go subd modeling , use 4 sided polygons 99% of the time. You can use them in areas that will not be dominant in the final render. Nobody is going to see the pinches caused by triangels or 5 sided polygons. But if you have tris or 5 sided polygons in areas that will be rigged and animated ( streched , bent or such.. ) you will have trouble.

Thinking low polygonal and drawing lines on your reference will help you understand the basic shape better. When you have the basic shape figured out, its time to add some more definition (edges). You can do this with mesh mesh > smooth. ( every polygon will be four when you smooth. in a smooth way ofc) Do not use smooth on meshes with thickness. Try smoothing planes and extruding the border edges later.

as daverave said once, "You should model the shape then define the edges." After all, everything hd has a low res structure (4/1 less geo in subd level 1 ) . Hope this helps.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails