Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-12-2014 , 05:28 PM

snow, snow and snow :)

hello,

I would like to know how to simulate the snow effect on an object like a house for example.

Is there a technique for that ?

Thanks for your answer,

Regards.

Denis

# 2 12-12-2014 , 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
This is a vague question. It would help if you demonstrated what you're after with some reference images.

- Genny
# 3 12-12-2014 , 02:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Probably the most straightforward would be to model it directly. Start with cubes and get the shapes you want. That would give the most control. You could apply a textured bump map and give it a nice shader and it should be pretty believable.

# 4 12-12-2014 , 04:11 PM

pic example

This is my example would like to get this kind of result :

user added image

# 5 12-12-2014 , 04:20 PM
EduSciVis-er
You can subdivide a polygon mesh and use the sculpt polygon tool to get some of the uneveness, but keep in mind how undisturbed snow actually looks on a roof. It is not very wavy, rather it is quite uniform and flat. It also bulges slightly over edges because the flakes stick to each other.

# 6 12-12-2014 , 05:11 PM

# 7 12-12-2014 , 05:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
You could try it, but it looks like a better tool for simulating snow falling, not the collected snow pack you have in your reference image.

# 8 12-12-2014 , 05:15 PM
No, seems to be the case in the video no ?

# 9 13-12-2014 , 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
The script in the video could be a nice addition to the scene but using it to generate such large solid bodies would be impractical. As Stwert suggested, model it. I'd try duplicating some faces on the would be covered objects as a shell that can be extruded. Then sculpting some organic contours either using Maya's sculpt tool or something more robust like Mudbox or Zbrush. And depending on how realistic you want it to be then I'd say the shaders and lighting will play a critical role in whether it looks like actual snow or just weird white clumps of stuff.

- Genny
# 10 13-12-2014 , 06:22 PM
hi danague,

For snow i think you can also use maya emit particle from object and use bubble settings and then convert them into poly.

i take help from this tut few years back. rest you can play around with the settings.
https://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tut...snow/snow.html

-dushyant

# 11 09-01-2015 , 03:23 PM

FX supervisor - double negative