Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 15-09-2003 , 11:55 PM

Another Newbie Rendering Question

Hey Again Everyone,

Ok, so I successfully rendered an ocean scene with words rising up from the sea with the help of some people on this board. Now this next question may not be exactly for this board but I'm gonna ask anyway.

When I rendered the 4 second scene, I rendered it to an .AVI file. I did this because I wanted to import it into Studio8 (this is a movie making program that comes with new Dells to burn DVD's etc).

Anyway, I wasn't able to import the .AVI file into the program. On their website forum, they mentioned .AVI Type 1 and Type 2, with Type 2 being the format that can be imported. They even mentioned a program to convert an AVI to Type 2.

I thought that I just selected AVI when I rendered. Is there a way to select what type I want to import it to?

Any thoughts?

Chris, Baltimore.

# 2 16-09-2003 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
There is a problem with importing avi from maya. the only solution ive found is to find another program to convert the avi 1 file to a 2 file and then import it into you favorite editing program. a good program i found for "bridging" is adobe premeire.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 16-09-2003 , 02:57 AM
The best thing to do is render out all your frames as targa or tiff files. Then, simply import the files into videomach or premiere and output the avi from there.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 16-09-2003 , 03:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, Maya's avi rendering is not that good.

# 5 16-09-2003 , 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is Premire a COTS product? Any idea how much it costs? Is there any shareware/freeware that can do this as well or no?

Do we know if there are any patches coming out to fix the AVI issue with MAYA or is it not even on their radar.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris, Baltimore

# 6 17-09-2003 , 01:11 AM
I was referring to Adobe Premiere which you can read up on at Adobe's website. If you want to go the free route, try VideoMach. I wouldn't hold your breath about a patch for rendering out AVIs in Maya. It's actually better to render out stills anyway as you can render out several different passes for compositing later.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 17-09-2003 at 01:14 AM.
# 7 17-09-2003 , 11:50 PM
Wow...Thanks again.

I have one final question...When you say "render out all your frames as targa or tiff files", I thought that .tiff files are single frame files. In this scenario, would I be making x amount of single frames and imput each of them individually or is this just another ".avi" like format.

I also downloaded that VideoMach program and I'll give that a try.

Again, this is great help. I promise to help some newbie 2 years from now when I have your expertise.

Chris, Baltimore

# 8 17-09-2003 , 11:57 PM
Guys,

That worked like a CHARM!!!! I was able to import the AVI into Studio8 with VideoMach.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

Chris