Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-10-2003 , 06:26 PM

Using maya models in video games...

Ok, I basically want to learn how to take models that ive made in maya and put them into videogames.

Not creating videogames, more like a mod to a videogame.

Is it possible? and if so are there any good books on the subject?

Examples: Desert Combat (Battlefield 1942)

# 2 03-10-2003 , 06:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's just a matter of the file formats and export issues for the game in question. Concievably, any model can be put into any mod, as long as it can be converted to the correct file types.

# 3 03-10-2003 , 07:56 PM
You pretty much have to find out what 3D engine the game in question uses, what file types the model files are stored in, and then find a pluggin for maya that converts a .mb to that file so it can be imported into the game.

I regularly convert .mb files to .ase files for use in the Unreal engine. There is a pluggin that does this for me, so all I need do is make the model and use the pluggin.

If you have a certain game in mind then go hunting around the games website, if there is any forums for the game go hunt there. And absorb as much infomation as possible.

# 4 03-10-2003 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber

# 5 04-10-2003 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
there should be some MIL scripts out there that will help with that, Maya 4.5 ple hase one in it for UT2003, log on to there tech suport for that game you want and ask to see if they have something to help..? just a thoughtuser added image