Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 30-07-2011 , 02:12 AM
Here are a couple screen caps to show the missile fits in the tubes (tightly!) There is some intersection but that will never been seen so I am not going to stress over it.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 29-08-2011 at 05:56 AM.
# 32 30-07-2011 , 08:27 AM

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 33 30-07-2011 , 08:43 AM
SM Tea Boy
Very nice mate, again love the attention to detail.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 34 30-07-2011 , 08:59 AM
Lifetime Member
Concur with David ct...very nice modelling as usual....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 35 30-07-2011 , 06:33 PM
I think the modeling is done I am just have to go back through and name everything and set up the hierarchy.

I rendered the missile with the fins folded for storage in the tubes and extended.

I had to do a lot of remodeling because I did not model the missile first. To get the missile to fit I had to make the holes in the covers larger and rebuild the covers. Then I found the tubes sticking through the sides so I had to make the box wider. Which made me have to make the bottom box wider, which made me have to spread the arms farther apart, which made me have to make the base larger, and on an and on it went...

Lesson learned: BUILD THE PROXIES FIRST.

But I got it done and I am pleased with the way it looks.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 29-08-2011 at 05:50 AM.
# 36 01-08-2011 , 03:50 PM
just to have everything close together in the post here is a wire screen grab showing the way the canards retract...

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 01-08-2011 , 03:59 PM

# 38 29-08-2011 , 12:48 AM
Subscriber
That looks totally awesome!

# 39 29-08-2011 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber

That looks totally awesome!

yeah what he said.

cheers
-C
# 40 31-08-2011 , 09:45 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Very nice and very clean, looks fantastic.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 41 01-09-2011 , 10:35 AM
rm3d
this looks awesome, glad i read through the post
love the walk through on how you problem solved the coils, any luck on normal mapping them? im glad to see that such an amazing modeller isn't the best at texturing, haha, i love to model myself but i usually fail when it comes to texturing user added image

question for you, well two,
1. what lighting setup did you use because it produced a lovely render
2. how did you create the perfect holes in the rectangle the coils went through?

thanks

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 42 01-09-2011 , 02:01 PM
chill - Thanks for the kind words.

1. I create a site wall, and for the ligthing I usually just use a point light (for sharp shadows) or an area light (for softer shadows) - above , behind, and to the right of the camera. I turn on ray trace shadows for the light and quadratic decay. Then I do a few partial renders (render region) around the brightest area until it is not burned out to adjust the intensity.

Then I set quality to production fine trace, and turn on final gather and then render

2. I either boolean a n sided cylinder (depends on the number of sides in the poly face(s) I am putting the hole in) or I use the n-sided cylinder as a guide and use split polygon to draw around it to cut the hole in the poly face. Use split polygon to connect up the corners and make all quads. Then add support edges to control the edge tension.

I grabbed a copy of xnormal and was going to experiment some more with normal mapping the coils. I think that will, in the end, be the best solution for rendering, but for now I have just have the model hipoly detail.

Last edited by ctbram; 01-09-2011 at 02:14 PM.
# 43 01-09-2011 , 02:11 PM
rm3d
cheers for the reply, thats a cool technique it certainly produces a nice render going to give it a try user added image , and i kind of figured out the hole thingy by looking at your you tube channel and your problem solving of the booleans and split poly on faces user added image

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk