Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-09-2005 , 04:12 PM

Tibbles

Hi all,
Well I've decided to freeze my other character for a while so that I can work on this guy. It's another one of my characters. I am going to attempt to model the entire character this time including the body. I am also going to texture and render him. A little more ambitious than my previous project, but I really like this guy and have a lot of ideas for him. So I guess this is really the start of something that will be ongoing for me. hope you like him. Here are a couple of refs.

Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-09-2005 , 04:45 PM
Some mor refs:

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-09-2005 , 04:58 PM
And finally..... some geometry. Just working the basic shape of the head and trying to find some edge loops.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 03-09-2005 , 05:00 PM
Mmm... yeah. Not much to comment on as you have only come up with the basic shape for the head. I can tell you that so far.. with the basic shape of the head only, I like it. Also, you have a very clean mesh... so far user added image. Its really nice, I mean the ref images and the project idea. Sounds cool! Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 5 03-09-2005 , 10:44 PM
Ok, couple hours of work in now. It's starting to take shape. Once again I am unhappy with the shape of the lips. I am also kind of frustrated, I feel like I have to do everything wrong at least once before I can figure out how to do it right. And once I figure out how to do it right; I later find out it's wrong as well. Grrrrrrrr!!!!:headbang:
Anyway, here's an update. I'm taking a break.

Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-09-2005 , 04:39 PM
Ok, I built the ears this morning. Went pretty smoothly and I am happy with the results so far. (Maybe I'm actually learning somethinguser added image ) I feel like with this second project I am developing a decent workflow, finding different tecniques that I prefer for different things. Anyhow, hope you all like it.

Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-09-2005 , 05:31 AM
Anyone have any tips on modeling the teeth, gums and jaw? I want to animate the mouth. So should I make the teeth and gums a seperate piece, so that I can animate them independant of the lips? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Penguin

# 8 05-09-2005 , 06:29 PM
Ok, so I went ahead and made the teeth this morning. I just made them as a seperate object. Also tweeked the ears a bit and added nostrils. the colors are just placeholders. I'm not sure whether or not I like what I did with the ears but I'm just gonna keep rolling. I will also probably make the teeth a bit bigger, closer to the drawing.
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 05-09-2005 , 06:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The lips need thickness if thats the answer you are looking for with those. The inner mouth edge of the lips is too thin, pull that back into the mouth, you'll need to adjust the teeth accordingly, and then pull them out forward a bit too, its a caricature so exaggerate it more and give it some character.

Jay

# 10 05-09-2005 , 06:39 PM
Here, something like this, the black line is the inner mouth

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 06-09-2005 , 08:59 PM
Hey Jay,
Thanks for the advice. I fattened up the lips a bit and made the teeth bigger. I also added the inside of the mouth and throat. Is there a good way to model a mouth so that it will animate well later?
Thanks,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 06-09-2005 , 09:16 PM
I would model the lips closed for the 'default' head then you can create blend shapes (facial expressions) like the mouth open, sad, shout etc later on.

Jay

# 13 16-09-2005 , 01:40 AM
Ok, so here is an update finally. After 4 attempts I finally have a body that I am willing to use, although I still am not completely happy with it.
Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 18-09-2005 , 09:41 PM
Ok, so here's my rig. I am using IK for the arms and legs. I have control handles set up on the feet which allow me to control all of the movement for the feet and legs with one easy to identify icon. I am using set driven keys for the hands and feet (toes/ankles/fingers, etc) I have spent a considerable amount of time setting this rig up to be easy to animate so that the animation process can be a free and creative as possible. Next I am going to create a few blendshapes for facial animation and some simple muscle deformation. I know that there are many ways to build a good rig. So, if anyone has any suggestions, tips, preferences, experience, knowledge, etc, etc, etc,...... that they would like to share pleas feel free.

Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 23-09-2005 , 12:21 AM
does anyone know a good way of making it so that my model's feet will stick to the floor instead of going through it?
Thanks
Penguin