Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-03-2003 , 11:34 AM
Subscriber

Round Holes

I have been trying to build a sign suspended by two chains.
I have the sign and the chains but I am stuck at trying to put two holes in the sign.

I have tried making the sign from a nurbs cube, putting a nurbs sphere into it and using one of the boolean commands to remove the circle, but it leaves a diamond hole rather than a circular one?

I can't post any screenies as I am at work, but I will post them later.

1/ what am I doing wrong?
2/ is there an easier way of making the holes for the chains to go in ?

user added image

# 2 12-03-2003 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber
you could try a poly cube or nurbs and use a cylinder instead of a sphere

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 12-03-2003 , 12:28 PM
Subscriber
Try hitting "3" on your keyboard to view the nurbs with better "Quality".

I am gussing your diamond will turn into a circular shape.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 12-03-2003 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
try making a nubrs circle and project it on the nurbs cube where you want the hole to be. Then again from the nurbs menu
use the trim tool to trim out the inner part of the
projected circle......

hope this helps ,

Konstantinos

You know, there are at least two ways of getting things done... Your way and the right way...
# 5 12-03-2003 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
I would create a poly plane, then Edit Polygons, Duplicate Face (separate faces selected in the option menu), adjust with and height for the hole, duplicate the face (ctrl d) for the second hole, combine all and use the 'make hole' tool; then extrude the face to desired depth...
...well if I just think about it... maybe you'd better go with 'booleaning' cube and cylinder (worked to much with polys lately)user added image

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 6 12-03-2003 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for teh help guys, I will try some of the suggestions when I get home.. I'm a total newbie to maya but I will work out how to do some of the answers you suggested,,, After all.. learning is part of the fun