Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-08-2004 , 08:35 AM

Flat Shade and Smooth Shade on Polygon

Hello all im new to all this Animation/Modeling. but i love it. i know the basics, and ive been working on a single Male model for some time its not a Great looking model or anything but im liking it.
just a Simple polygonal Model i started from a Square.

Anywhoo. My Question is after Spliting and Extruding so meny times. when i switch from Flat Shade all to Smooth Shade all. Only Some areas of the model shade correctly the rest of it stays as if it was still in Flate Shade mode.

does anyone know what i did wrong?
how can i fix this error that i may have made?

and sorry if this Question has been asked already.. i havent found anything as of yet refering to the problem im having.

oh also note if i Smooth the Model the Flat shade and smooth shade works fine afterwords. i wish i knew what the heck i was missing.

Attached Images

Last edited by OmeNu; 23-08-2004 at 09:12 AM.
# 2 23-08-2004 , 11:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
Might need to soften the edges with Edit Polygons > Normals > Soften/Harden Edges > Options. Turn it all the way up and try that.

# 3 23-08-2004 , 05:11 PM

just pooped in to say Tank ya

your Suggestion worked thanks for the help. user added image

made a big Diff. still have quite abit of work on it. but it looks alot better.

Attached Images

# 4 23-08-2004 , 07:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looking good. user added image Glad to hear it worked. :tup:

# 5 24-08-2004 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike

That helped me out to. I had imported an object I created - a while ago in LightWave.

Same problem - I just thought it was an artifact of imported objects. Luckily I have been working on other things in the mean time and had not restrarted modeling, again in Maya.

Keith