Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-08-2006 , 02:25 PM

Car Modelling Techniques

I've seen a lot of different techniques used to model cars. My curiosity is to know if it makes a difference if you model part by part (front fender, hood, door, etc.) and convert each piece to subd when you're done each piece. Or model the entire car in its polygone form, then extract each piece and begin converting to subd's.

Anybody else have any opinions based on what works for them best? Or maybe just personal preferences.

# 2 21-08-2006 , 03:41 PM
It really depends on what you are going to use the car for....like if you want it animated or not, exploded or not, etc. If you are just looking for one view from the outside, then just focus on modeling the exterior of the car.

You can use anything or start off with any polygons, nurbs, subdivision etc. It won't matter if you model part by part, as long as you are satisfy with the outcome. If you do a good job modeling, you shouldn't be able to see much or any differences whether if you have used polygons, nurbs, sub, or all.

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 3 21-08-2006 , 04:11 PM
The main use would be for view at the moment (exterior). Until the program becomes the back of my hand. I start school in October (Video Game Design) and Maya will be a big focus of the program. For now I'm just looking for visually appealing =).

# 4 21-08-2006 , 04:24 PM
oh that's sweet, can't wait till i get into a video game school ^^

But from what I have read, either if you use Nurbs, sub, polys, in the end, everything will have to be converted into polygon, unless you're doing an animated CG moivie to put into the game.

Good luck in your video game schooling ^^

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 5 21-08-2006 , 04:29 PM
Heh thanks a bunch. Im still working out a technique that works best for me. I love seeing results, so I'd prefer to model in pieces and get straight to detail, then on with the next piece.