Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 20-06-2004 , 03:07 AM
Technical Director
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ITS GOING TO EAT ME!!! lol. Very cool mate. Maybe put a few photon blasters from the inside of the hands or something =)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 47 20-06-2004 , 08:45 AM
Subscriber
Blaster is already there, right in the center of the hand. He was originally designated a lifter droid, so his weapons are really just cutting tools that have been "tweaked"...

It will all become very clear once my workload has gotten smaller and I can get back to my own stuff...

https://www.craigcrane.com
voIP PHONE: 9301254@sip.gossiptel.com
# 48 16-07-2004 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber

# 49 17-07-2004 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber
every once in a while - a wip like this comes along - very good - an inspiration to us all... thanx...

MURPH
# 50 18-07-2004 , 04:26 AM
Yes very much so an inspiration... too bad im not that good user added image oh well user added image Ill work on getting better! user added image

# 51 16-08-2004 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your kind comments....

UPDATE:

Wow, seems so long since I actually did anything on this....

Today was the first day away from the proper job, so I decided to go back in, simplify the rig a little, address the feet and ankle joints and some other bits and bobs like shelf buttons and the like.

I really wanna texture him now, but cant until Maxon pull their fingers out of their ears and get a Maya 6 Exchange plugin out there... so the next plan is a few walk and run cycles and then hopefully a bit of UV layout work in the hope that this will kill some time until the plugin is release.

user added image

user added image

I know it looks the same as all the other previous renders, but there are some subtle yet worthwhile differences, especially in the rig, so its a lot easeir to pose him. The shoulder was a particulat pain in the ass, as it is comprised of 3 seperate joints, and I could not figure a way to make IK on the arms work.

Leg and foot IK was also changed to reflect he has an ankle, ball 1, ball 2 and then the toes. So that took about an hour to figure out as I wanted to use the IK method Ilearnt from ******, but with an extra ball roll node control on the foot control. It worked a treat.

A few more hoses here and there, but untill I get to texture him, I wont be adding anymore widgets and things. I still have 5 more droids to make up the 7, so I have a long road ahead of me...

Just noticed that if I type in the name of the school in L.A who's fantastic DVD's I use, it wont show.... it just has a bunch of stars... is ****** a dirty word here??? Shouldnt be....... thats like filtering the words Lightwave, Max and XSI just because its a Maya based forum.... C'mon, I hope your not filtering ****** just because you are now producing DVD's as well..... I really like this forum, and it would be a shame to see such practices used here.

On the other hand, maybe the word ****** is to similar in structure to a swear word..... but I can think for the life of me what it could possibly be.....

C'mon, please tell me it aint so....

Last edited by CraigC; 16-08-2004 at 07:20 PM.
# 52 16-08-2004 , 07:40 PM
INCREDIBLE JOB

:tupont't go down!
# 53 16-08-2004 , 08:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
CraigC

Do your uvs before you bind it or your textures will slip when you move it.

LAter
_J

# 54 16-08-2004 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
No binding needed.... just parented the relevant geometty to the bone that it relates to.... Worked a treat on the previous droid earlier in the thread.... If I did opt to do a rigid bind, then naturally I would sort the UV's out prior to that....

Thanks.....

# 55 16-08-2004 , 09:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
CC
Okay cool, I did wonder....

_J

# 56 16-08-2004 , 10:09 PM
that looks f****** good ! user added image

very much detail !

# 57 16-08-2004 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber
hey craig, still looking really cooool, user added image, just a Q, are these for a personal project or something else - "top secret", just curious because i would lurve to see the completed project, and just wanted to look out for it in the future...

cheers - Murph

MURPH
# 58 16-08-2004 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
That sweet ass man... about all i can say is...sweet...ass...

How'd you rig up the hydrolics?......how ever ya did.. they look nice......
aww hell, the entire model looks good...Heh

Legend

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 59 17-08-2004 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
Thanks guys....

legendofzombi: With a lot of trial and error. Got in nailed though user added image

murph: A bit of both..... I'm a firm beleiver that if you cant get a job, create one.

FubaR: I see you are also having problems displaying certain words, although I have a fair idea that yours is a genuine dirty word, where as mine is the name of a school.

Jango: Cheer man....

Everyone else: Today I start a walk cycle.

# 60 17-08-2004 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
Cool, cool stuff CraigCuser added image