Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-05-2015 , 01:32 PM

Cylinder Caps With Quad-Faced Topology?

I am following an article online on how to model a lego character and I am baffled at one of the first steps. It says to create a cylinder, make it's subdivision axis 12 then to delete the caps. Then is says to "fill the caps with "cleaner, quad-faced topology". I know this is a lot better than triangular topology, and I know this is important for modelling the rest of the character I just don't know how to do it.

Here is what is wants you to do to the caps of the cylinder: user added image

Here is a link to the article:

https://www.creativebloq.com/3d/creat...rhero-21410592

Thank you in advance!

# 2 10-05-2015 , 03:16 PM
The thin red line
I would delete the inner faces then fill hole, last just use the cut faces tool.................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 10-05-2015 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Currently making one myself for my hulkbuster project

https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthre...threadid=41441

1 Create cylinder > open channel box
2 change Sub caps to 0 and subdivsions axis to 12 (Reading the tut it tells you 12 but he is using 20 - bit misleading)
3 Select the face on bottom and top and then select Edit Mesh > Face > Extrude. Here click the blue box which will activate the middle box
4 To match the tut scale it in, then press "G" to use it again or just use the Edit Mesh > Face > Extrude again.
5 Now use the split poly tool to connect the faces to quads - this is how I would do it
6 This is closer to the tut way of doing it, but again I did it on 12 sides (like he said to do it) not the 20 he has used.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-05-2015 at 03:28 PM.