Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-12-2013 , 06:17 AM
Lifetime Member

Doom 3 Challenge

HI guys.

I have been very busy at work and with life as a lot of you are. There have been no challenges posted so I am throwing one in for shits and giggles. Upon approval from my man David and Miss Nilla I will do this:

I have started sculpting a Hellknight from Doom 3. The challenge will be to either model a small environment approx 10m x 10m for scale or another Doom creature or a human either as dead as a doornail or with a weapon. The Hellknight and subsequent winner will be printed on my printer in mini scale, approx 120mm for the knight and scaled for the winners model. I does not need to be complex as this will hamper the print.

I propose this take 8 weeks, yes a long time but I work 12 hour days 6 days a week, and need time to finish the knight. The prize will be the mini print sent to your address, supports still on (you can break it LOL). If no environment wins I will create one or the runner up can donate theirs.

So :

1st prize = miniprint (with SM logo on a base)

2nd prize = ebook to the value of $50 AUD

3rd prize = to the value of $30 of a tutorial or part there of from Simply Maya.

These prizes are all sponsored by me through Simply Maya, I will let David and mods discuss and if approved...the fun begins.

I propose Gen, Rick and ND be the judges in this if they so wish, again up to the management user added image

I look forward to hearing from SM on this proposal to cut the challenge requirements and rules out. Once the rules are set, thats it, no interpretations please, this is for fun and some exposure for those who work hard. MINIMUM model detail is 1mm any smaller than that and it will not print.

Happy Holidays and be safe

Anthony xx

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 26-12-2013 , 01:23 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sounds good to me i'll go over the details with you on Skype and we shall have to get this in a newsletter, be good to have a challenge going again.

I'll have a chat with the keeper of the wallet and see if we can throw in some more prizes as well seems like a good way to kick the new year of user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 26-12-2013 , 03:48 PM
Technical Director
Looks good to me!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 4 26-12-2013 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
How were you thinking of the enviroment working as a printed model.

Was thinking we needed a new enviroment challenage and it would be a cool prize but getting that printed seems like a challenage by itself.

But great idea

# 5 27-12-2013 , 01:28 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I think the in house modelling pro should be a judge if you ask me....

Jay

# 6 27-12-2013 , 02:46 AM
Lifetime Member
The environment only has to be small Tweety, something similar to what they do at Sidshowcollecables. Thats something we would have to nut out. The printer can do it no probs...thats a time issue for me more than anything.

I didnt add you Jay as I thought you were busy?? on a new flick, feel free to add yourself user added image

No probs m'lud will call you when I can user added image let the Minister know if she has the war funds to proceed user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 27-12-2013 , 02:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Something like this Tweety, like a quarter room or something, if that doesnt work then its back to machinery or characters. At the end of the day another character will probably be better, I thought about quarter room for a while...something for it to stand on. See what David comes up with.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectib...ibles-1000761/

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 27-12-2013 at 02:57 AM.
# 8 27-12-2013 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
So sort of a base and back plate for the model to sit on sort of thing, yer i see that working fine. I was thinking you wanted a full room or something hahahaha.

Thats one kick ass vada.

# 9 28-12-2013 , 12:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Nah not a full room mate LOL that would take me a month to print! Yeh nice Vader huh!!

bullet1968

# 10 04-01-2014 , 01:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok managed to do the blockout on the body and then deleted it as I wasnt happy with it. Anyhoo, just to show I am doing something on the model for everyone, steep learning curves LOL

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 11 04-01-2014 , 07:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Time for a break methinks

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 12 18-02-2014 , 05:18 PM
Technical Director
Bullet, get your arse back in gear! user added image

# 13 21-02-2014 , 11:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Yes I was about to write why I have been absent ND. This last week I lost a good friend and neighbour to cancer. So I will be a week behind in completion of the Hellknight. My sincere apologies but this situation escalated so damn quickly it took everyone by surprise. We send him off this Monday so I will get back onto it this Tue.

Kind regards

Anthony

bullet1968

# 14 21-02-2014 , 05:25 PM
Technical Director
So sorry for your loss mate.

Don't I look like an asshole now :/

# 15 21-02-2014 , 11:11 PM
Lifetime Member
No you dont mate, you were not to know.

bullet1968