Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 04-04-2004 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber
whahahahaha This is what I just loooooove about ANY 3dprogg... creative fantasie!! I love this char. so funny already! GREAT JOB! and goodluck further ltrr

# 17 10-04-2004 , 01:20 PM

# 18 10-04-2004 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
Awesome work m8, model has tons of personalit. Keep it going.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 19 10-04-2004 , 10:56 PM
great rigging lol.

# 20 10-04-2004 , 11:00 PM
The Maya Mountain
very nice. user added image

# 21 13-04-2004 , 07:30 AM
whoah dude thats nice! cant wait to see the finished model, texturing him should be fun, using maya fur?

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 22 13-04-2004 , 08:13 AM
Subscriber
hahah thats too funny
user added image

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 23 23-04-2004 , 08:27 PM
Okay, I'm not as fast as I thought - I just got a Wacom and worked quite a bit with ZBrush, so I lost the sight of my animation rig a little...

I just tested a few shapes, hope you like them:

user added image
user added image
user added image

https://members.chello.at/anna.mahler/emot_05.jpg

Heres a shot of my joint-setup:

user added image Sadly it's already pretty old, I've built in a few more joints to get more control over his mouth.

Crits are highly appreciated!

# 24 23-04-2004 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
wow - looks like a whole lot of clusters! Interesting to see how other people rig. From the blend shapes it looks like your rig is working well for you. Nice.

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 25 23-04-2004 , 08:42 PM

Originally posted by ereitz
wow - looks like a whole lot of clusters!

I didn't use one single cluster here, buddy! Everythings on a joint/locator basis.

Interesting to see how other people rig. From the blend shapes it looks like your rig is working well for you. Nice. [/B]

I didn't use one single blend shape here, buddy! Everythings on a joint/locator basis.

;-)

Hehe - Actually it's a just a weighting test. Theres no control setup for now, I have to rotate the locators to have control over the face - I could animate the moose this way, but it would be pretty slow and would not be a lot of fun...

# 26 23-04-2004 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
Hi Thomas, obviously got that one all wrong... user added image

since you're using joints - have you hidden their parent or are they just single joints with locators attached?

will you be using blend shapes after you've weighted your model?

I gave up using bones for facial animation finding it difficult to use paint weights to weight. I use a combination of clusters and very basic bones to make blend shapes.

Your method of using a multitude of little bones looks similar to the effect of using clusters. Or is there a big difference?

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 27 23-04-2004 , 09:28 PM

Originally posted by ereitz
Hi Thomas, obviously got that one all wrong... user added image

Hehe, no problem buddy! All of this would obviously also be possible with clusters - But I don't like them ;-)

since you're using joints - have you hidden their parent or are they just single joints with locators attached?

They're single joints with locators attached and those locators are parented to other locators.

For example, the l_lipMiddle joint is attached to the l_lipMiddleLoc Locator and the l_lipMiddleLoc Locator is attached to the low_mouthRotLoc Locator.

Sounds pretty complicated, but it is not - It's pretty easy to use. After all, I'll create a NURBS Curves Control System to have everything under direct control :-)

will you be using blend shapes after you've weighted your model?

Maybe I'll add a few blendShapes for details like wrinkles or something like that, but generally the animation will be driven by joints.

I gave up using bones for facial animation finding it difficult to use paint weights to weight. I use a combination of clusters and very basic bones to make blend shapes.

Ohh, you think so? I used to work with 3ds Max and, I tell you, skinning is HORRIBLE with Max. Weight Painting is a really, really nice, powerfull feature.

Although Maya has some pretty bad problems when it comes to exporting/importing skin weights. I found a pretty nice script called "saveWeight.mel" on Highend - Works pretty well for me!

Your method of using a multitude of little bones looks similar to the effect of using clusters. Or is there a big difference?

Well, no I don't think so. It's just a prefrence, cause I'm used to paint weights with joints :-)

# 28 23-04-2004 , 09:31 PM
And yeah, "pretty" is a pretty nice word, hehe ;-)

# 29 30-04-2004 , 05:26 PM
Alright, I tweaked a lot since the last update, the most work has gone into the animation controls. There are still no animation presets built into the NURBS Curves, but the animation rig is pretty much finished.

I still have to weight the skin/fur thing under his head, but other than that I'm ready to go.

I'm also working on textures/fur shading, but that'll still take me some days:

user added image

Hi Res:

https://members.chello.at/anna.mahler/moose_hdd_06.jpg

# 30 04-05-2004 , 09:45 PM