Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-06-2004 , 03:59 PM
Subscriber

Does this look fishy?

# 2 01-06-2004 , 04:03 PM
Subscriber
This happens all the time. Maya software bids seem to show up once or twice a week. **Remember if you buy this and than give Alias a call for a license they will not give it** It takes a day or two before the auction is shut down.

# 3 01-06-2004 , 05:43 PM
Subscriber
When ever you see Western Union, think about fraud...
What ever people tell you, WU is not secure and offert no way to track the receiving end.

At best the guy will send a pirate copy, at worst, nothing...

# 4 01-06-2004 , 07:29 PM
user added image talking about fraud and florida... did you know that spain selled to napoleon florida for some principates in europe that interested us and that he actually never gave to us... and then by all the face he selled florida to the EEUU? FRAUD! FRAUD! it wasnt his to sell it!... I want it back!...user added image

Last edited by dragonfx; 01-06-2004 at 07:31 PM.
# 5 01-06-2004 , 09:16 PM
Kevin
its a scam!

I hate people who sell software!

Myself and dave have found our vids all over the net and it Piss*s us but those who sell it for $5, well what can I say!

# 6 02-06-2004 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Kevin
Myself and dave have found our vids all over the net and it Piss*s us but those who sell it for $5, well what can I say!

Sometimes I check on the net for SM stuff to see if anybody does that but I haven't.. or else you'll be hearing form me user added image

-Emo

# 7 02-06-2004 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
Personaly, I think a solution for P2P sharing would be to dynamicaly include the name of the buyer of the movie at the start of the movie.

Of course, it would be possible to cut the first few second but still, it would be an adition burden for the pirates.

I dont know (and think) if its possibe with WMA or divX file format, but I know its doable with quicktime...

I dont think the problem lies in the hand of the pirates who copy the files but in the hands of the first person who publish it on the P2P network. If the person knew that he could be tracked back, he would think twice before sharing his file in the first place.

Another way to discourage piracy is to offert good services and use the pirates as a mean of free promotions. After downloading the video, the pirate will come to the site and meet the authors, see the DVDs for sales, etc... And will understand that if he wants to get more tutorials, he will have to contribute too. So he will probably get the files he cant get on the network like the DVDs, etc... Of course, this is a risky move because unlike artists, you dont do concert, live class, etc... The videos are the sole source of income, so I dont think its such a great strategy...

Anyways, the point is that there are solutions to piracy and I strongly encourage you to use them for your new tutorials.

# 8 02-06-2004 , 01:35 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by Kevin
and it Piss*s

Sorry, but I couldn't help but find it funny that you would censor the "e" but leave "Piss". lol

# 9 02-06-2004 , 01:42 PM
Kevin
LOL!! so it does mate LOL

# 10 02-06-2004 , 01:46 PM
I like the idea of burning someones name into the video itself. But not just on the first part but right the way through! That'll teach them, it's obviously possible to get rid of this but as Mantat said it's more effort.

How complicated would this be? I know here at work we have scripts that do slate burn-ins etc on the fly but then we dont mind how long it would take. I guess the processing overhead wouldnt make this feasible would it? user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 02-06-2004 , 01:55 PM
Subscriber
If you give me a few days I will check this out because I am kinda out of the quicktime programing loop since a few months.

I dont think it would require a big server upgrade (maybe a small dedicated server) because only bought files have to be encoded and I doupt that you sell more than a few files at any given second (I hope for you that I am wrong ;-) ).

The idea is basicaly to divide the video in a parts and add the image between the parts and then stitch everything together and upload the file. So there wouldnt be any encoding to be done. Totaly file size might be a little bit bigger tho.

But I dont think that puting the infos right in the middle of the files in random spot is such a good idea because it might bother the user. So placement would have to be carefully selected.

# 12 02-06-2004 , 02:37 PM
yeah a watermark in the bottom left corner or something that says the user name and the date it was bought or something. Kev / David what are your thoughts on this?

If you give me a few days I will check this out because I am kinda out of the quicktime programing loop since a few months.

But we dont use quicktimes here, but I dont think it's a problem. Once the main encoding is done it would simply be a case of overlaying a watermark.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB