Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 106 19-06-2004 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
chicken - yeah will get some blood on there for ya at some point user added image

dragon - not sure - I have PM'd you

kidney - yeah it does look pretty dull, just going for the Kerry King look out of slayer user added image I have been thinking of changing it for a while - not sure what to go with - might use the same as the right arm with a little stuff added?? what ya think?

cheers

Rich
# 107 19-06-2004 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
is it ornamental or is supposed to be used as a weapon...if its a weapon ive always been a fan of spikes(just a few of them...make em nice and stylized: ) ) and curvy blades...something that he could stop an attack with, then counter with an attack of his own : )

Last edited by Rubberkidney; 19-06-2004 at 10:58 PM.
# 108 21-06-2004 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
kidney - yeah they are def meant as a weapon, I will try and do as you suggest - maker fewer of tehm and more stylized - cheers for comments matey.

here is a groinal area cover user added image

the colours of the cloth are just the beginning - going to add some more and dirty it up, tried to add some blood colour in the bottom corner user added image

and following is the shot of it all together

Attached Thumbnails

cheers

Rich
# 109 21-06-2004 , 12:56 AM
Subscriber
the full monty........

Attached Thumbnails

cheers

Rich
# 110 21-06-2004 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
man...i need to get on it : ) good job..looks great, cant wait to see the cuff revision

# 111 21-06-2004 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
humm.. looks weird, seems like the bottom of the "skirt" is stuck on the knees. Look weird.

And the shoulder pads are stuck in mid air, looks weird and unatural too.

See if you can replace the color of the leather with something lighter or darker. Right now, it looks too much like the fur of the mino.

Or maybe, its just because I am a bit drunk :-S

# 112 21-06-2004 , 12:27 PM
indeed something is not natural. maybe the color of the skirt, or maybe be the lenght. it looks like my grandmother not like a wild animal user added image
you should let the muscles to see.user added image

# 113 21-06-2004 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
I bet it wont look like your grandmother when it gets a hudge axe user added image
I actually like the skirt thingy as it is user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 114 21-06-2004 , 12:47 PM
i don`t be so sure of that chickenuser added image) my gm is not a good oneuser added image

the idea is : if that skirt was a ring armour, it will be ok to be like this, but is a softer material, is not made to protect so is no use to be that long, cause is not practical(i`m a girl, i know what i`m telling user added image )
and the color of the skirt should mark out the legs not other wise. it must look like isignifiant comparing with the strenght of the legs user added image

# 115 21-06-2004 , 12:49 PM
sorry for first post, just my mistake in tiping

# 116 21-06-2004 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
But if the skirt was shorter you would be able see the mino's private bits user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 117 21-06-2004 , 01:23 PM
The Maya Mountain
I agree with Sufiyaz. I think the kilt should either go all the way around, or be a loin cloth that hangs between the legs and not over the knees like it is currently.

Good work! :tup:

# 118 21-06-2004 , 04:02 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for all the comments guys - I can see what you are getting at - can I just show you this pic below - from the cgtalk machineflesh challenge - it has the 'skir' effect I was going for - i guess not too successfully user added image

It will look different when the mino is in it's final pose as the legs will be slightly wider apart therefore the cloth will hang down between - I guess it is too wide tho.

Have a look at this tho and please comment (frickin awesome challenge by this airworks guy!!!!!!!!)

Thanks again for your comments - I do try and listen and take onboard

MOD EDIT: Image removed to avoid confusion.

cheers

Rich
# 119 21-06-2004 , 05:23 PM
tha`s the skirt i like. muscles are great, yumiuser added image
and about the position. is a little forced. try to stend in that position 1 minute. it will kill you, i know, i trieduser added image. i not the space between legs, is the ungle at the knee, must be larger.

is better, before you make a picture with an body, try to stend before in front of a mirror and try some position.

but the worrior looks really great!good job!

# 120 21-06-2004 , 06:11 PM
The Maya Mountain
just to avoid further confusion, post links to art that is not yours rather than posting the art itself.