Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-07-2005 , 04:48 PM

Knife

Hi,

I've been teaching myself Maya for just over a week now, and being inspired by Michael McKinley's most excellent book's sword tutorial I decided to make my own knife. It's not finished yet, but here's the concept sketch and model so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-07-2005 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
hi, im no expert in knifes but just a pointer, most knifes/swords/blades ive seen have about 1-2 cm flat edge between the hilt of the wepon and the blade.

# 3 15-07-2005 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Hey, nice work. I like it alot. The modeling could use a little work. But I know you said that you are still working on it. Got any bump maps or something in plan?

# 4 15-07-2005 , 11:21 AM
@alienscience; yeah, the texture will have lots more detail on the handle, and a bump map and specularity map I think.

@Matt4068; thanks, I never noticed that before. It shouldn't be hard to add one. I should probably get into the habit of sketching a real object so that I notice the details, before I design my own fantasy version.

I'm not going to dwell on this knife too long, I should have a go at the character tutorial next.

# 5 15-07-2005 , 07:07 PM
Here is a bit more progress....

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 15-07-2005 , 07:26 PM
try to add bump map and it will be niceuser added image