Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 31-07-2008 , 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Ok so my work on this slowed some, I'm painting stuff atm, this one has a ways to go still but I'm cool with it so far, I might not even use this on the kitchen >.>.

Attached Images

- Genny
# 17 31-07-2008 , 06:51 AM
Umm... you painted that wood texture? May I ask for what reason?

# 18 31-07-2008 , 08:51 AM
hmmm HOW did you paint that? Like.. real paint as in brushes and paints, or like.. photoshop type paint?

Either way, looks good. THough.. you could have taken a picture of some wood (easy way out)

# 19 31-07-2008 , 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Umm... you painted that wood texture? May I ask for what reason?

For use as a texture maybe, could be, possibly?:nod:

Originally posted by Bluethunder
hmmm HOW did you paint that? Like.. real paint as in brushes and paints, or like.. photoshop type paint?

Either way, looks good. THough.. you could have taken a picture of some wood (easy way out)

Like in Photoshop paint. And yeah I couldv'e done that, or just paint one up, it gives me a chance to get to know photoshop better, full control over exactly what I get (I find this stuff fun so I could take all the time in the world cuz its just for me <3) and its an addition to my library, so its all sweet.:blush:

- Genny
# 20 02-08-2008 , 01:49 AM
modeling is nice, and im impressed by the wood texture, keep it up

# 21 02-08-2008 , 06:59 AM
Looks great so far. Would like to see a quick render of any progress user added image

# 22 04-08-2008 , 03:03 AM
Super Moderator
Hey guys. Update, the kitchen had an empty feeling, though I don't want it to look "lived in", I just didn't want it to look naked, so I find myself adding crap here and there, I had to set a cut off point because I'd be doing it forever ><. I was working on some pots and pans today and and appropriate shader . Heres a render (I'm probably going to do a couple more variations of these to finish the set) user added image

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 23 04-08-2008 , 04:00 AM
hey - nice job - these look very cool.

are you going to be scruffing up the textures a bit or are you keeping everything very clean looking?

# 24 04-08-2008 , 04:58 AM
Subscriber
i assume since she doesn't want it to look like it's lived in the textures and materials will stay clean, unless it's a kitchen that has been used but no one lives in it anymore and all the appliances are all dirty and full of grime and grease
both ways would look good in your library

btw, what are those blue circles in your first picture and the picture of the oven?

and just out of curiosity did most of the large fixtures start their life off as a polygon cube or a nurbs circle?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 25 04-08-2008 , 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
@ arran, thank you ^^. They'll stay crispy clean, I dunno I just love those sexy, immaculate interior renders.

@ Chirone
Quoting myself since I did post this before and I'm too lazy to retype it :p

"I create curves and parent objects to them instead of combining/merging and whatever because it easily allows me to move stuff around, scale etc but still be able to just switch out shaders on all the pieces with ease. And I also set driven keys so I can just open and close items easily, like the oven, trash can etc."

And, no NURBS geo, everything either started as a cube, an 8 sided cylinder or a plane. Well the chair/stool legs were extruded using curves but I have the options set to output poly geo so I dunno if that counts lol.

- Genny
# 26 04-08-2008 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
it took me a while but i get it now.... :p
why not just group objects instead of parenting to curves?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 27 04-08-2008 , 06:19 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
mmmm... Chrome...

This looks nice. I love good rendering projects.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 28 04-08-2008 , 06:43 AM

Originally posted by GecT
@ arran, thank you ^^. They'll stay crispy clean, I dunno I just love those sexy, immaculate interior renders.

sounds good user added image looking forward to the next update.

# 29 04-08-2008 , 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Chirone, they are grouped, under the curve. I prefer it this way as its more visual, just my way of creating handles I can't miss etc. I pretty much only do this for stuff that I move around alot that have multiple pieces, I find myself resizing and relocating the chairs what with proportions and all that mess.

Thanks Mayaniac, yeah rendering is fun, 3D is fun period. Though I find myself totally slacking off, my boyfriend is really nudging me to start making characters and stuff so I can visualize the stories I write (I'd say its laziness on my part lol). I'll start that stuff soon though <3.

arran it'll be a tad bit slower because theres a bone in my wrist thats kinda sticking up at the moment :x so thats going to be wrapped up for a lil bit.

Edit, nvm popped it back into place...

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 04-08-2008 at 09:34 AM.
# 30 05-08-2008 , 08:13 AM
Thats nice user added image I have a kitchen that I've worked on and off for awhile.
I got frusterated since I was trying to make astianless steel shader(spent hours can't do it how did you do it ?). It's not complete needs alot more work,it's a learning experience it's not like I know what I'm doing until I've done it user added image