Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 15-09-2007 , 07:48 PM
Subscriber
it looks nice, starts up well, and by some of the specs here renders wel.., but i still cant get a 'high quality view' or hardware render of particles.., so this 'mental ray render particles ' that was mentioned is of great interest to me

what cards are people using.??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 17 16-09-2007 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
"The first thing you’ll notice is the new initializing window"

Who cares about that :p just kidding ... isnt there a way to change it anyway if you dont like it?

Decided to get 8.5 instead of 2008 as i really dont need it i reckon. All the tools i need are in 8.5, so its all good. Just cant wait till i get my quad-core and run 8.5 on it and see how that goes user added image

(MAN they changed the tools all around the place ... looks good but i struggle to find stuff now! urggh gotta relearn the UI :angeryuser added image

# 18 16-09-2007 , 03:39 AM

Originally posted by marlonjohn
"The first thing you’ll notice is the new initializing window"

Who cares about that :p just kidding ... isnt there a way to change it anyway if you dont like it?

Decided to get 8.5 instead of 2008 as i really dont need it i reckon. All the tools i need are in 8.5, so its all good. Just cant wait till i get my quad-core and run 8.5 on it and see how that goes user added image

(MAN they changed the tools all around the place ... looks good but i struggle to find stuff now! urggh gotta relearn the UI :angeryuser added image

Yeah you can change the startup window image just look for mayastartupimage.xmp.bmpand edit it, so no biggie.

How have you got 8.5? Your re-seller should have given you maya 2008 regardless of what yuou asked for as its not the "current" version.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 16-09-2007 , 03:55 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Yeah you can change the startup window image just look for mayastartupimage.xmp.bmpand edit it, so no biggie.

How have you got 8.5? Your re-seller should have given you maya 2008 regardless of what yuou asked for as its not the "current" version.

I searched for mayastartupimage, and nothing came up. Are you sure it’s called that?

Anyway, I haven’t been able to do that much work in Maya for the last 2 days, because some unexpected things came up. I’m hoping that I can open it up today.
user added image

# 20 16-09-2007 , 03:58 AM
Subscriber
What do you mean ? i dont understand ...

[EDIT]

Donno if this would make things clearer but i didn't get it off a re-seller. Brother purchased a student version threw his workplace(Uni).

Last edited by marlonjohn; 16-09-2007 at 04:05 AM.
# 21 16-09-2007 , 04:20 AM
Marlon - He must have got it before the upgrade as they shouldent have sold you 8.5 as its outdated.

If I was you I would have got 2008, theres no difference in price and even if you dont use the new tools in it, its still inherently faster and multi core supported when running simulations, which when you upgrade to your new PC will be faster.

Jr Who - You need to locate the MayaRes.dll and then use a resource edting programme to get to the file, not too sure what it would be on the MAC though.

# 22 16-09-2007 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
I agree, 2008 seems more friendly than 8.5.., but one cant always count on first impressions user added image

I see no benefit to 8.5 over 2008, Id dump 8.5 but its got a shave and shampoo plugin I put in it (or what ever you call it) plus blast code, and thats very handy for fur, and blowing things up (if I could use it) ect. but the 2008 seems to have some great hair and fur tools anyway, havent checked 'shatter' yet)

Actually Im very happy with 2008, even if I cant use all the tools in it (who can??) Im so happy with it Im thinking of asking it out on a date with me.., it will probably tell me to go get nurbed. but Ill impress it with my dual core thingy.., err, processor. I might even try and network all processors, then I'll have 5 times the staying power.

# 23 16-09-2007 , 03:50 PM
Subscriber
too late me and 2008 are going steady - I`m sooo in love

# 24 16-09-2007 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber
what..,??!! and I thought i was the only one it truly loved.., I knew I should never to count on first impressions. :angery: :bandit:

back to propping myself up alone at the bar...

# 25 18-09-2007 , 02:47 PM
Acid44
dude i have to say that i hate 2008 for 1 reason and 1 reason only... the way they set up the views... it may just be cause im a newb but i have to go thru menus evey time a want an orthographic side/front/top,etc view... i hate it... anyone know of a way to make it normal???? like how every other perfectly fine version of maya was...:angery:

# 26 18-09-2007 , 03:30 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by acid44
dude i have to say that i hate 2008 for 1 reason and 1 reason only... the way they set up the views... it may just be cause im a newb but i have to go thru menus evey time a want an orthographic side/front/top,etc view... i hate it... anyone know of a way to make it normal???? like how every other perfectly fine version of maya was...:angery:

What do you mean exactly?

# 27 18-09-2007 , 04:13 PM
Acid44
well in maya 8.5 and lower you just had to click on the x,y,z icons in the compass to get the orthograpfic veiw from side top etc, but now you have to go thru the view menu cause if you just click you get a perpsective view from x,y, or z, which really screws me up if im modelling because of the depth...thats the best explanation i can give right now

# 28 18-09-2007 , 06:58 PM
Why dont you use the navigation cube, or hit space to switch?

# 29 18-09-2007 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by acid44
well in maya 8.5 and lower you just had to click on the x,y,z icons in the compass to get the orthograpfic veiw from side top etc,

I`m sure that only came in as a new feature in 8 (maybe 7) it has not always been around. I still use good old space bar as I hate that cube as well - it feels like I`m playing a computer game with that thing, but its the only thing I hate.

# 30 19-09-2007 , 12:57 AM
Lifetime Member
acid that little niggle seems so slight to make you HATE 2008 , especially as you can either tap the space bar to change views or hold the space bar and right click and select your view ..lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 19-09-2007 at 07:49 PM.