Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-03-2004 , 10:12 PM
I think the overall size is too large. Or if you like the size maybe have a smaller version of it altered slightly and raised in the middle as the alter for the sacrafices. The rest of it as the stage.

# 17 11-03-2004 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
4ng3l
thanks! user added image sometimes i have to be. specially when it comes to structures. user added image
making something structuraly feasible and good looking at the same time is really a hard task. that's basically what is meant by designing and it takes time. its a touchy topic either. i just try to compromise most of the time...so i can meet the deadline and at the same time, like what i'm doing.

twisteddragon33
it is really big. that's how i intended it to be. if you are familiar with ancient Egpytian, ancient Roman, or ancient Greek architecture....they really make these things (columns and pylons) big. thanks for the suggestion but i like it the way it is. you will know later why i wanted the center to be clear of anything. user added image

ancient civilizations continue to amaze us because of the very fact that they are able to accomplish big things, despite their being ancient. for example, the Pantheon in Rome built during 120-124 A.D. its 43 meters high and 43 meters in diameter. and its made of concrete. another example is the Pyramid of Khufu in Egypt. by around 2500 B.C. the were able to perfect the angle of the pyramid so that the stone on the base area won't rupture after more than 190 years of building. each block weighs on the average of 2 1/2 tons; 2, 300,000 blocks all in all. it took 120 years to build the Pyramid of Khufu.

i don't plan to device something of this magnitude. i'm merely trying to make something that could at least have a similar effect...even if its just superficially similar user added image

i like my structure to provoke questions...if you know what i mean.... user added image

[SIZE=1.5]They say if you keep on trying, its good exercise.....lol[/SIZE]

Last edited by frayo; 11-03-2004 at 05:02 PM.
# 18 11-03-2004 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
some update...

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 11-03-2004 , 08:21 PM
Nice detail user added image

# 20 11-03-2004 , 10:53 PM
How did you go about making the detail for the pylons?

# 21 12-03-2004 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
dragonsfire
thanks user added image

twisteddragon33
i used the previous pylon i made, then started cutting using this new tool i learned, the cut mesh tool something (i'm not sure if i remember correctly what its called). it slices the whole mesh orthogonaly. then deleted the unnecessary edges. then extracted the faces where they are suppose to separate. then i made the 3 individual shells solid. then i beveled the edges. i had to do a a different degree of smoothen/harden operation on each stone because the result of the operation depends on how many faces there are and how dispersed they are in the mesh. i hope that answered you Q user added image

# 22 12-03-2004 , 05:01 AM
yeah nice detail! looks alienish hehe but maybe with a rock texture it wont be anymore

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!