Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 29-01-2007 , 01:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

New tute

Hey All

Just to test the water really, Im due to start a new tute soon for Simply Maya and am thinking about character facial setup, you know blendshapes etc with sdks for teeth, tongue brows. It will basically be an incite to how it can be done this way as opposed to say facial rigging with bones, which I dont do.

Is there an interest for this out there or would you rather see some modeling tute again?

Cheers
Jay

# 2 29-01-2007 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
Uhh i think the Orc head by kurt coverd that one thing that i would like to see is a tut on dynamics or a full rigg of a body.user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 29-01-2007 , 02:06 PM
Sounds cool Jay, but as has been said the orc tut does that (Never seen it myself so I couldent comment) dosent it?

What about a Zbrush detailing and texturing, along with making hair, al a like your villan dude? Starting form a base mesh that you go over showing the loops and what you need prior to diving into Z (not the modeling of the mesh in maya but just an overview) laying out the UV's etc etc???

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 29-01-2007 at 02:51 PM.
# 4 29-01-2007 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
Yea bring work into Zbrush would be very cool but i dont got it user added image lol.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 5 29-01-2007 , 04:20 PM
Doing a Z brush tutorial might be a good one to have on the "new" site especially if it only touches on the Maya side (as its your preferred app) and the main "meat" of the tutorial is in Zbrush, with maybe a quick export and render in maya to demonstrate the process??

Also what about a smaller tutorial on clothing a character (not using cloth) and gettin the proper blendshapes etc for animation as it one thing that I cant get my head round! Don't know how viable or if its been covered previousley???

Just some thoughts

# 6 29-01-2007 , 04:49 PM
Now see the thing is this, theres more to what I was going to add. Hats off to Kurt for his tute, although Ive not seen it, does it cover the parallel option in the blendshape editor?

This is a great way to create new character heads and utilize the old facial expressions without remodelling plus corrective shapes on joint deformation. I was going to cover some Zbrush too to add the extra ooomph to the facial shapes.

I think our own SM member, JHaydock has been the only person to witness this technique first hand in our studio whilst doing some work for us...

Cheers
Jay

# 7 29-01-2007 , 04:55 PM
Should have known you'd have something up you sleave!

# 8 29-01-2007 , 05:12 PM
thats how you stay ahead!! LOL

Jay

# 9 29-01-2007 , 05:13 PM
If thats the case and theres some Zbrush detailing and texturing in there gets my vote!

# 10 30-01-2007 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
I'd be really interested in the Zbrush bit, but I've been looking into mudbox a tad and must say it looks nice (although i've not gotten to zbrush yet either, just seen bits and peices of it.) Have you tried mudbox yet? Due to the maya nav controls and other familiar bits I thought it might be more fluent for us mayans. I wonder how easy it would be to interpret Zbrush to mudbox too... hmmm. Either way it sounds cool, looking forward to it user added image

# 11 30-01-2007 , 05:45 PM
Senior Software Developer
Jay,

Go with what you feel is missing. There is nothing on Facial Rigs here at all and I know its supposed to be quite hard. ZBrush is one for the future I feel once the site is unified.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 12 31-01-2007 , 04:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys...Im putting pen to paper at the weekend to get stuff done in a speciffic way as to keep the work flow clean too!!

R@nSiD: I think you're right, I'll just go with the flow...I will drop in some Z brush for the extra tweaking of things too

Cheers
Jay