Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-10-2002 , 02:07 AM

SF-105 Super Nova

I made my own model for the game I am making... Only 3500 polygons (Lots of unused faces I have to clear up though) user added image

~Raedius

# 2 23-10-2002 , 02:09 AM
The only problem now is textuing the damn thing... sigh...

~Raedius

# 3 23-10-2002 , 04:14 AM
The Maya Mountain
You might want to reconsider your design... instead of getting it smooth, you might want to focus on details. If you look at any games, the models usually are not all that smooth. Technology has allowed models to be higher polycounts than before, but you still need to use efficiency along with details. Take a look at some of the spaceships in Earth & Beyond for example (www.earthandbeyond.com). The space ships they've used may not be smooth, but they look pretty darn good and are composed of just as many, if not fewer polys than 3500.

Just my two cents. user added image

# 4 23-10-2002 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
I agree with mtmckinley

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 5 23-10-2002 , 07:10 AM
That would be a good suggestion, if I knew how to add details... which I dont.

My model is crap... user added image

I wish I knew how to make some good low poly models user added image

~Raedius

# 6 23-10-2002 , 07:19 AM
No, it's not crap. If it would be nicely textured it surely would look good, but for a PC-Game, probably a lower poly**** would be better, scince computergames cannot texture that well...

Just Undo the smooth on your object (Or set the divisions to 0 of the smooth in the channelbox of your object).
No simply continue to extrude things and so on... Should't be too difficult.
Maybe you want to create the object out of multiple polymeshes, then you can combine them later and delete some faces to attach the surfaces....

Regards

Markuz

# 7 23-10-2002 , 07:26 AM
Nah, it's crap.

Texturing... Bah, I suck more at texturing then I do even at modelling! user added image

I guess programmers are not allowed to be able to model, probably some kind of law against that sort of thing user added image

~Raedius

# 8 23-10-2002 , 12:00 PM
Supreme Being
you shouldn't give up man.. you should try even harder now.. when you get there, the feelin' will be even more sweet.. :p
and one step at a time..

# 9 23-10-2002 , 02:33 PM

Heh Raedius, I'm a 1/2 way decent modeller and 1/2 way decent programmer, though I'm not necessarily great at both. I starting with a primitive cube then extruding and such. Also using the CP curve tool, but change the attributes so that it's just lines and not curves. Then loft sections.

If you have simple questions you can ask in #gamedev. I'm usually in there after 8pm (central time).