Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-12-2009 , 06:32 AM

texturing character for animation

I have a character in maya that I will be animating. I am working on the skin texture and debating if I should go with normal maps or displacement maps for the pores of the skin.

Is it true normals maps are more animater friendly so i am hoping to stick with normals? however I am having a hard time bringing out the pore detail with normal maps. Is that type of detail only possible with displacement maps?

i am sculpting the pore texture in zbrush and bringing it into maya. I know that with displacements you need to set up the approximation editor and with bumps i have turned quadratic filter to off.
I am not sure what else I can do to get the normal maps to display nicely in maya.

any help would be great.

# 2 10-12-2009 , 10:11 AM
The thin red line
If you have only done wrinkles and porse in zbrush you could try a bump map...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 10-12-2009 at 01:22 PM.
# 3 10-12-2009 , 06:09 PM
Normal maps are pretty simple form Z, do a google about it.

As for animator friendly, not too sure what you mean about that. A normal can be shown in the viewport but I dont really se how that is much of an advantage unless it warps, but that is more of a modeling and blend shape issue as you may need multiple normals/dispa to compensate for the deformation driven off the blends

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 10-12-2009 , 11:32 PM
Subscriber
something I sometimes forget to do when using normal maps made in zbrush, is to make sure I set the bump node to use as 'tangent space normals' rather than bump. Make sure you have created the normal map with the right settings. And I have been making use of a tip I read which i have found helpful which is to create a cavity map in zbrush and mulitply it over the colour map, to give the normal map a bit of a helping hand like.