Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 07-04-2007 , 04:30 PM
yea that's another way you can do it, like laurie said, if you have an idea as to how the animation should go, an acetate sketch taped to your monitor of the already predisposed animation should go will be able to tell you if your animation is well underway. if you're off, you should be able to change your motion using the graph editor or trax editor.

Accept no substitutions.
# 17 08-04-2007 , 01:05 AM
Ok, are we talking about animation as in children's movies or ultra realistic ones? I'm getting the impression that we want vastly exaggerated chracter poses from this discussion.

Anyways, if motion capture did result in unrealistic characters, I think that movie studios wouldn't use it. Why spend millions on the equipment, software, crew, actors and stunt men when your existing animation team can do it at a fraction of the cost?

Also, for characters that can't be motion captured in the traditional way, like non existant creatures, I've seen a documentary where they do motion capture on a puppet for a six armed monster.

LauriePriest > '...and even in things like king kong where they use elaborate motion capture rigs animators often just end up deleting the cap data anyway.'

Well we don't know the circumstances of why they did it so we shouldn't judge motion capture based on that. Anyways, a lot of special effects techniques may work for one movie well but for another, it may not achieve the expected result.

# 18 08-04-2007 , 01:34 AM
Its a bit off topic but,

Motion capture results in very realistic motions that can then be applied to Cg characters, Gollum, King Kong are two great examples they dont look S**t in my mind. The cost of motion capture and the subsequent cleaning up of the data are some of the problems.

Also a take in a mocap suite that might have been cleaned up and sorted ready for the animation pipeline might have ended up being determined not suitable by the director and therefore might have had to be hand animated, as the porcess of obtaining the data again would prove too time consuming and costly.

End of the day its up to whats required for the production, if you can hand animate if then do it, if it needs the subelty of the movements required then mocap it (if its cost effective). Ive Just started using mo cap data and its not as straight forward as you would expect, then again this might be me not being used to the workflow.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle