Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-03-2011 , 12:24 PM
Lifetime Member

Bullets Space Marine

Ok...my mate has asked me to do a model for him...a Warhammer 40k Space Marine...I have explained to him that I suck at modelling and I have 40 000 other models to finish LOL...none the less I relented...sigh. I have been told the helmet can improve a million miles...I would like some feedback please guys. I dont want to make it a WIP as I think it isnt worthy of it...and it is just a favour...anyhoo throw some veges my way...I need the food.

Thanks bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 24-03-2011 , 12:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
Moved to WIP mate. Looking pretty good so far. Although i would tone down the car paint shader a bit, kind of looks like a reject from a gay pride disco user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 24-03-2011 , 12:46 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks David...you cad! I didnt want to WIP it...sigh..you really know how to put pressure on a man LOL. No the Blue/Gold are the colours but it wont be like that. Hmmmm I take it you have been to Sydney before??? bahahahahaha....

When I do get to the texture side...I will more than likely go for an urban cammy...unless some one else has a better idea? or maybe a forest slash cammy....There is a bit of a dent in the helmet...edge loops...damn it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thank you mate..I still dont think it is worthy....but I guess thats why you have put it here, I think my old boss used to call it 'character building'..?? LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 24-03-2011 , 01:35 PM
The thin red line
Looking good Bullet, you might want to get some more references for the helmet I dont think thye eye part looks like that.........dave

# 5 24-03-2011 , 01:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate...no I have made it so..on purpose...and I have a zillion refs to some quite outstanding kit forms mate......they are quite different! I didnt know there were so bloody many different configs LOL. No I thought about it...I may change the shape...but one thing ALL war helmets seem to lack is peripheral vision..so I am trying to convey a wide arc of vision. But your input does help man...Im still trying to figure out how to do it without making it bug eyed....if you know what I mean?? that is something Im still not sure of.

cheers mate

bullet1968

# 6 24-03-2011 , 04:36 PM
Looking pretty cool!!! user added image In case it is supposed to be a game char, maybe test possible clipping issues, especially with the pauldrons.

TDW user added image

# 7 24-03-2011 , 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks TDW...no its for a friend to use as a wallpaper...Im a hobbyist...miles away from game characters....it will more than likely end up as a poster on his wall LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 25-03-2011 , 02:02 AM
Anyway, nice gift for a friend. Once I've learned how to render my stuff properly, I'll make myself some nice wallpaper as well. Most wallpapers you can buy in shops are not better than many of the works I've seen here on the forums. Maybe even sell some in a few years... user added image

TDW user added image

# 9 25-03-2011 , 02:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Money!! now you are talkin mate, it would be nice to make a bit of cash on the side LOL

bullet1968

# 10 26-03-2011 , 08:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Not sure about this helmet and the airflow cap?????? hhmmmmmmmm

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 11 27-03-2011 , 07:24 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmmmmmmm still not sure about this...did some ear type attachments...crits etc please?

dont have a s-*/load of refs of the backpack either...sort of wingin it..hope to have the backpack out tonight as my workin week starts in 12 hours...sigh..did some more on Ramsay as well Jay..not enough to post though...I havent left him behind.

cheers

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 27-03-2011 at 09:31 AM.
# 12 27-03-2011 , 10:29 AM
Subscriber
looking good, i like the helmet a lot

free memory low..exception thrown
# 13 27-03-2011 , 11:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate....left it for a while and workin on the jetpack to ease the brain...

Ok this noob is hitting the hay...had a reasonable arvo..I hope????? modelling wise..got a couple of hours in. The last image of the heat plate....or whatever it is...the boolean didnt quite work for some reason and deleted faces around the edge. So I either fix it by hand...or cheat and put a frame around it to hide them..as they are not co-linear in their deletion..appears almost random..still I am happy so far.

Throw the veges at it...I need the food for my children...

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 27-03-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: adding images
# 14 27-03-2011 , 04:40 PM
WOW m8 your modeling is gr8! wish I could do something like that..... Keep up the good work.

# 15 27-03-2011 , 06:14 PM
The thin red line
Looking good bullet...........dave