Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-08-2009 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber

Space Marine

My first post and my first character modelling.
A Warhammer 40 000 Space Marine, almost done with textures and bumpmapping.

Any Comments?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-08-2009 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
A more closeup photo/screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 19-08-2009 , 08:31 AM
grt job!! they are really good ones. i think the fingers aren't properly modeled, are they?
user added image good one, i'll say, as it is ur first one

# 4 19-08-2009 , 09:10 AM
Subscriber
looks good just everything needs more detail and im not so hot on the green but thats just personal taste. Check out the feature they have on the CGSociety website you can see how much more you can add as they are really cool characters.

T

- Big Tom
www.digitaltom.co.uk
# 5 19-08-2009 , 11:16 AM

Originally posted by bigtommyb
looks good just everything needs more detail and im not so hot on the green but thats just personal taste. Check out the feature they have on the CGSociety website you can see how much more you can add as they are really cool characters.

T

I like the model itself but the colour green is not suitable I think. If I remember the lore correctly, there's no SM that's green.

But if you do like the green, then I suggest that the background be some sort of jungle and the green is for camouflage, since that would make a lot of sense lore wise and is novel.

Just my opinion. But good job overall.

# 6 19-08-2009 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
Reading the article on CGsociety right now, amazing site.

I was going for a low poly model, but perhaps I should have spent more time on the bump map and textures.

Anyway, about the green color. It's suppose to be a Dark Angel Space Marine, but the textures came out alot brighter green than it should have. Maybe it's my poor lighting skills or a cockup with the textures somehow. Have to look into it I guess.

Love the awesome comments by the way :attn:

Last edited by Lord Bane; 19-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.
# 7 24-08-2009 , 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Lord Bane
Reading the article on CGsociety right now, amazing site.

I was going for a low poly model, but perhaps I should have spent more time on the bump map and textures.

Anyway, about the green color. It's suppose to be a Dark Angel Space Marine, but the textures came out alot brighter green than it should have. Maybe it's my poor lighting skills or a cockup with the textures somehow. Have to look into it I guess.

Love the awesome comments by the way :attn:

Oh, you're right, it's dark green (sorry, my mistake, I honestly can't recall that chapter). Though it seems to be much darker than yours.

If you want to stick to the canon (which I'm guessing you will), you may want to try to move it just a bit to the blue side and then make it darker. It should hit the colour spot on. No worries.

https://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Angels

Here's a link for your quick reference on the colour!

But if you want to create a new chapter... by all means also!

Keep up the good work yar?

# 8 29-08-2009 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
Remade parts of the model some and added more detail and resolution.
Oh, yeah changed the theme to a more Black Templars approach.

What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 29-08-2009 , 06:19 AM
Subscriber
One more picture of a different pose.
Kinda wish I had the time to make some weapons. Maybe next week..

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 29-08-2009 , 10:11 AM
Looks good. I have a small suggestion. If you watched the DOW2 intro, the space marine's eyes were glowing slightly to indicate he is alive (the glow died out when an eldar killed him).

Maybe you can include a slight glow to the eyes as well. It may work well seeing how dark the rest of the body is.

# 11 02-09-2009 , 01:35 PM
Subscriber
Salamanders chapter is bright green... thats a first founding chapter and without a doubt canon.

That being said, good you chose the black templars, I cant imagine the cloaks of the Dark Angels to be a lot of fun.
Challenging though...

In ICT there are two kinds of people : Technically challenged artists, and artistically challenged technicians.

I am, without a doubt, the latter.
- Dave