Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 21-11-2007 , 02:35 AM
OK people, I need some help now :headbang:

I created the model for the hedgehog as you have seen. I painted hair on the low poly to create the prickles. I connected a bend deformer to let my hedgehog roll up itself to a ball. The prickles nicely bend along. Bending IS cool !! :bandit:

The problem is when I do a smooth proxy, the hair system does not copy to the other half of the model as you can see below :angery:

Any suggestions user added image

Attached Images
# 17 21-11-2007 , 03:27 PM
I think I have figured it out :attn:

I converted the hair paint effects to poly's and combined them with the low poly. Then doing a smooth proxy also mirrors the hair poly's to the other side of the model. And I'm still able to change the hair attributes. user added image

Or should I do this another way ??

# 18 21-11-2007 , 05:35 PM
Well, I guess I should do it another way. With this approach it takes an endless time to do manipulations on the model :zzz:

I now switched to connecting a hair system to the high res model and just leave it as paint effects. Easy handling and relatively fast rendering :p

# 19 22-11-2007 , 01:02 AM
looking good Swil, i like the hedgehog - pretty good 4 a noob.
Hope u can do the animation too id like 2 see that. keep it up dude. user added image

# 20 22-11-2007 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
I must agree that hedgehog looks cool. The fact that it can roll into a ball is impressive. Are you going to make the Hedgehog (ball) white or textured like a real golf ball?

keep up the good work.

# 21 22-11-2007 , 09:27 AM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback user added image

I haven't thought about texturing the hedgehog like a golf ball, but I like the idea :nod: Let me see if I can make that work.

Any ideas for the rabbit ?

# 22 05-12-2007 , 08:56 AM
Well, it was a lot of learning, but I got the hedgehog to look somewhat the way I want it. I'm not sure yet if I want to put more fur on it, or leave it the way it is now.

What do you think ?

I also started working on the golf course itself. Needs more work, but it's a start.

Attached Images
# 23 05-12-2007 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
Hey, why don't you make the hedgehog's quills match the texture of the body. I think it will look real neat and the logo will show up better :nod:
On the image provided has a plane with the mk logo texture and the fur with the texture too. Let me know if you can get it done.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
# 24 06-12-2007 , 05:48 PM
Wow, very cool !

I used hair with high stiffness, rather than fur, but anyway, let me see if I can figure this one out user added image

# 25 08-12-2007 , 01:43 PM
OK, I found out how to do this. I need to switch to fur and bake the texture to base and tip color.

Unfortunately in the process my PC suffered a real hardware failure :headbang: :headbang:

I spent hours to try and get it going again but it stays dead. My other PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run Maya :angery: :angery:

I'm going to need some time to find a solution for this :shakehead

# 26 08-12-2007 , 03:58 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Swil
OK, I found out how to do this. I need to switch to fur and bake the texture to base and tip color.

Unfortunately in the process my PC suffered a real hardware failure :headbang: :headbang:

I spent hours to try and get it going again but it stays dead. My other PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run Maya :angery: :angery:

I'm going to need some time to find a solution for this :shakehead

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope it gets fixed soon!

You say your machine doesn't have enough Horsepower?

The computer in my bedroom is a Athlon 2600 (running at 2400) with 512 mb RAM Nvidia FX 5200 and 140 GB hard drive.
But it runs Maya really well (as long as i don't go above about, 40,000 polys.

But, not to worry my parents are running a decent machine,, and I'm currently saving up to build a new comp.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 27 08-12-2007 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
ouch! I felt that one. Sorry to hear.
You probably had the fur density really highuser added image

# 28 09-12-2007 , 01:50 AM
I don't think my PC crash had anything to do with Maya. Already since longer I was getting blue screens when I was doing graphics intensive apps. Also with video editing, for instance. Earlier this year, after a few of those crashes, powering down and up, the internal network bridge already blew up and I had to install a separate network card. The last crash this time probably built on the previous one. With all those blue screens I was already getting tired of the thing and was thinking of buying a new one. I have to speed up those plans now user added image

My other PC is a Pentium 2 with 192 MB RAM, already seven years old. I don't think I can beef that one up enough. Not even worth while trying :zzz:

I saved some money so I should be OK. See if I can find a nice Core 2 or something :bandit: :blush:

# 29 25-12-2007 , 12:50 PM
Well, if it rains it poors !!

I got myself another PC just before the Xmas break, worked for two days to get everything installed again. Very nice system - Intel Dual core @ 6300, so should be able to do something. Then lightening stikes and I start getting blue screens of Death one after another. It turns out it's not a new system but a refurb. Pretty poor job I would say. :angery: :angery: :angery: :angery:

Went back to the shop tonight and they offered to replace it with a little extra payment for a quad system @ 6600. That makes sense :p

Trying to get everything going again. Hope to make some progress again next week.

cheers user added image

# 30 25-12-2007 , 12:53 PM
hope u can make sum progress swil - i been lookin 4ward 2 seein more of this idea. still got 2 months 2 go i think.