Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 22-07-2006 , 05:00 PM
Another small update... I still wasn't happy with the room I was working on - I was getting some annoying bumpy bits around the window - so I decided to remodel it.

I ended up using nurbs to build the outer wall. I then converted it to polygons and built the rest of the room.

Aside from a couple of early experiments, I don't have too much experience with nurbs, so I really need to do a decent nurbs tutorial as it seems like they are much better suited to non-organic stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
# 47 24-07-2006 , 01:48 PM
Hey arran give the Nurbs BMW a go that pbman did in the WIP section, its a really good way of learning.

When I first used maya I did everything in NURBS but i've moved away from them now (dont know why, just have), I generally use them now for creating a basic shape of what I want to model, then convert to polys.

cant wait to see your job textrued, whats the colour scheme going to be?? wild colours, furturistic chromes and whites or you keeping it under wraps??

# 48 24-07-2006 , 10:12 PM
thanks gster user added image I have had a few ideas for textures, but nothing definate yet. It probably won't be too wild, but we will see. I am hoping to go out and take some photographs in the next few days.

My first few attempts at nurbs were very painful, but I think I am beginning to see how they work now. They seem really useful to know. I'll take a look at that car tutorial.

I have been working on another one of the rooms and also trying to sort out the scale of everything. Nothing too interesting to post at the moment.

# 49 25-07-2006 , 01:30 AM
I like the homes you've designed so far, really cool concept work. Btw any odd inhabitants to go with them?

# 50 27-07-2006 , 06:33 PM
Thanks vizion - I don't have any plans for any odd inhabitants at the moment - I have just been using my vacuum guy to get a sense of scale.

Here is the latest picture of the main structure - I realised that I didn't have enough rooms, so as you can see, I have changed the design a bit and have added another level. I have been having a bit of a nightmare with the modeling, partly because I let lack of sleep drunk me have a look at my model and partly because I haven't really made something like this before.

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 27-07-2006 , 06:39 PM
and here is a shot of inside the kitchen. I am probably shooting myself in the foot by modelling stuff like the kitchen sink, but I am kind of enjoying doing some quick modelling and have also kind of got into making the interior practical and making sure that there are enough bathrooms and the like. I must be getting old and domesticated!

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 27-07-2006 , 07:26 PM
Hello - just a quick question - in the picture below - I made the selected geometry by making each of the parts and then combining them and connecting them all together. What I am wondering is, is it better to just make the individual pieces and then just let them sit together as seperate objects? Does that make sense? By combining the parts and trying to connect them I seem to have given myself a major headache, but I wanted the final piece to look like one smooth piece.

Any advice? I think I am just going to keep going, but I am wondering what is the better way of doing this.

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 27-07-2006 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
arran,

I think this is great, it reminds me of that Roto-Stack stuff you can get for small rodents only it's people sized!! Where's the running wheel?!?

Take it easy,,

Mat.

edit:

I just read your previous post (instead of just looking at the pretty pictures!) and my thoughts are.... it's up to you. Consider that you may have to texture it at some point will you find it easier to texture the model as a whole or in seperate parts? Also if you want to change any aspect of it before it's finished how easy will that be if it's all joined together? Think Roto-Stack (for people!!!).

Mat user added image

Last edited by happymat27; 27-07-2006 at 07:51 PM.
# 54 27-07-2006 , 07:52 PM
Ha ha - I see what you mean - I hadn't thought of that. cheers mat! I might have to sort out a human sized running wheel!

# 55 27-07-2006 , 07:55 PM
I see what you mean - good explanation - user added image - Now I am wondering if I should just rebuild... hmmm...

# 56 27-07-2006 , 09:18 PM
i think connecting them all together looks more aesthetically pleasing, but at the same time, when you look at say... the space station or the like, they don't bother with making it look nice on the outside, as long as it's functional on the inside...

either way, it's coming along quite nicely user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 57 28-07-2006 , 10:21 AM
lol at the rotostack comment user added image
I dont know whether you've seen the bank adverts with the guinea pigs acting like humans but you could do the same with some hamsters in your house user added image

Its coming on nice arran, especially with the detail inside. I maybe wouldn't put too much detail on the inside if you're not going to see it in the final render though. Then again a final piece with an outside view and a few inside pics could look good.

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 58 02-08-2006 , 04:31 AM
Hello everyone - here is an update on my project.

I have actually been having a few problems with my view panels which have been going blank in the side view and in the top and front views the objects have been disappearing when I select them. I thought that it might be a problem with my video card, as it sounds like a similar problem that others have had, but then I noticed it was only happening on this project. I ended up fixing it by creating new view panels for the time being, though I am still not sure what is going on.

So I ended up remodelling the corridors that connect the rooms to the elevator and I think that it is working a lot better. I also reworked the elevator entrance, added some supports below the main dome, finished the kitchen and added a few other details here and there. I think that I have pretty much finished doing most of the modelling on the house. I might add a few more pieces to the interiors, but I think that it is definitely time to move on to texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by arran; 02-08-2006 at 04:47 AM.
# 59 02-08-2006 , 04:34 AM

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 02-08-2006 , 04:38 AM
Here is a rendered view of the house with the rest of the buildings. Another problem that I have noticed is that some of the objects aren't casting shadows. I think that it may be the objects that I imported, though I am not sure. I seem to remember reading about this problem elsewhere...

Attached Thumbnails