Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-10-2003 , 04:02 PM

resoultion for tv

im completing my demo reel and i want to put it on dvd format.

does anybody know the resoultion thats good for tv so my images wont pixelate or distort?

also, i wanted to add a little photoshop to it...whats the res on that so i wont look all bad on a tv

thanks in advance

maya user
# 2 11-10-2003 , 04:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
depends on where you live, or where the demo would be going.

US - NTSC

Europe - PAL

# 3 11-10-2003 , 05:39 PM
720 X 480 = NTSC

720 X 576 = PAL ( i think!!)

Your images wont pixelate if u use these resolutions.Another method is to multiply the above res by X2 and render in that larger size later scaling it down to 720 X 480 before u output to tv.
When rendering to tv use the DVNTSC format if its an avi or DV format if its a quicktime.You will have to use adobe premiere or any other editing application for doing so.After FX does that too.

# 4 11-10-2003 , 11:06 PM

cool

thanks for the responses guys..i'll give it a try

maya user
# 5 26-10-2003 , 02:47 AM
If you want more of a "video look", consider rendering your animation with FIELDS, not FRAMES. In case you don't know what this does, it will mainly smooth out quick motion as it divides the screen into even and odd scan lines when rendering...just as a true video signal does.

If you want more of a film look, use frames and a little motion blur.

Either way, the default CCIR 601 rendering preset in Maya is 720x486, considered by most to be the US standard. However, depending on your editing platform this may not be the case. I edit/post on a PC with MatroxRT2500 and Premiere which requires a resolution of 720x480. Other in-house editors that receive my animation frames require the CCIR601 default, so that's what I always render as. If the editing falls on MY shoulders, I run my animation through After Effects and save the whole thing out at 720x480, which is then compatible with my editor.

Long story short, it all comes down to which editing package you'll be using. Hope this helps!