Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 26-05-2005 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Rancid, heres the latest shot - poly, half of him almost done, just need to do the eye area and mouth (and hopefully gills :s), then sub-d editing. Hope you like it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 26-05-2005 , 12:20 AM
Subscriber
Hey petrol, nice work. I like the real organic look, it definently looks like a frog. You can tell most of his ability in is in his back legs for jumping. GREAT IDEA. Anyways, did you notice that you turned off your avatar? I dont see it anymore, did you mean to get rid of it? I kinda miss the canada. If im thinking of someone else then just tell me, ill hit myself in the head a couple of times and then hope you will forgive me.

# 18 26-05-2005 , 12:21 AM
That thing's great-looking!

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 19 26-05-2005 , 12:23 AM
Oh, I know this isn't the right thread to be asking this, but how did you stitch the skin of his legs to his torso to make it look attached to the body?

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 20 26-05-2005 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
"If im thinking of someone else then just tell me, ill hit myself in the head a couple of times and then hope you will forgive me."

Hi alienscience, yeah you're thinking of someone else i think - petra perhaps, I'm not too sure. Oh and I forgive you user added image Thanks for the nice comments, hope it doesn't look too much like a frog though or I'm in trouble, i'ts meant to be a lizard type-thingy user added image

Shadeblade, grab the free cartoon dog tutorial - you'll see then user added image

Last edited by petrol; 26-05-2005 at 12:54 AM.
# 21 26-05-2005 , 05:30 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by Shadeblade
Oh, I know this isn't the right thread to be asking this, but how did you stitch the skin of his legs to his torso to make it look attached to the body?

Shade.

Stiching would be done by duplication of the model to a scale
of -1 on the X-Axis and then doing a poly combine on both symetrical polys and then merging the vertices...

The Cartoon Dog Tutorial on this site explains the process. Its free and very good. GJ Kurt user added image

I recommend doing it as it helped my understanding of nurbs to poly modelling and also a bit on SubD too.

Hope this helps

Enjoy and Good Luck

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 22 30-05-2005 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
Getting more detail in - just tweaking. Heres a wireframe and a render (poly).

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 05-06-2005 , 11:41 PM
Subscriber
Just tidying up the model a bit, making muscles look a bit more defined, and trying to add more detail whilst cutting down on polys.

Reading mike's book to get some tips on texturing, haven't done it before on my own model. Just need to stitch on the other half when im ready with the refining of the model.

Crits appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 05-06-2005 , 11:49 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
"... hope it doesn't look too much like a frog though or I'm in trouble, i'ts meant to be a lizard type-thingy..."

Hey, yeah. Sorry, I looked over your first post and realized my mistake. But, what I guess I should have said was that I can really tell that he has jumping ability. His hind legs look very strong and agile. That is where the frog thing came in mind. But hey, nice work by the way.

# 25 06-06-2005 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber

Neat

Hi Petrol,

That's a neat-looking creature! I especially like the fingers and toes. Are you going to taper off the barrel-looking thing jutting out of its back?

Drought

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 26 07-06-2005 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys,

Drought - a little, but as it is kind of a barrel, not too much tapering, just gonna make it a bit smoother. The feet look pretty much how I wanted it to - but actually they are a bit of a mess poly wise, which is why I'm now cleaning them up a bit :/

Still looking into UV mapping for the texturing phase. Going to start it soon once I'm happy with the mesh.

# 27 07-06-2005 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
I thought it would be good for you guys to see the other half on - it's not attached yet, so ignore the harsh line down the centre.

Attached Images
# 28 07-06-2005 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
Another perspective, and top view. Crits welcomed!

Attached Images
# 29 07-06-2005 , 10:48 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Hey, petrol...

There's something that bothers me...
Your creature's legs. Looks like they are separatted from the other parts there...
And its face: there's a thin line there. What is it?
But, excluding that, it's VERY GOOD WORK, man!!user added image

Attached Images

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 30 07-06-2005 , 10:51 PM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by Total Rookie
And its face: there's a thin line there. What is it?
But, excluding that, it's VERY GOOD WORK, man!!user added image

Cant answer the rest but the line is just the duplication, he has not yet stiched it together...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)