Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-05-2013 , 01:22 AM

Lighting in Maya vs Lighting in Flame

I am not a Maya artist. I am debating a flame artist about a current job.

Maya is taking 15-20 min/frame to render, and the exr files are then brought into flame, where he spends 3 days "lighting" and colour correcting 30 sec worth of animation. He says it's faster to correct in flame than to re-render.

My argument is that the time would be better spent getting the scene right in Maya, so that every frame is complete once it's rendered. If (when) the client comes back for more, the scene will be properly lit, and the Maya artists just has to create the action with the existing characters in the existing (properly lit) world.

user added image

# 2 01-05-2013 , 02:36 AM
EduSciVis-er
By my calculation, 30 sec of animation at 30fps at 15-20min/frame = ~9 or so days of rendering. So yes, it is faster to correct in flame if it only takes 3 days. Of course the more you can get right in the render, the better, but I think it's unrealistic to expect there will be no requested changes to the render, or that there won't be some small tweaks to improve it in post. My two cents.

# 3 07-05-2013 , 04:26 AM

By my calculation, 30 sec of animation at 30fps at 15-20min/frame = ~9 or so days of rendering. So yes, it is faster to correct in flame if it only takes 3 days. Of course the more you can get right in the render, the better, but I think it's unrealistic to expect there will be no requested changes to the render, or that there won't be some small tweaks to improve it in post. My two cents.

That's where I was trying to steer them. At least get the client's blue logo right. I am certain there will be tweaks. To output a cyan logo, and flat lighting is illogical. We know this client will be back, so I'm trying to convince people to get it right in Maya, and tweak in flame, rather then just output a flat & incorrect exr & re-light & CC each & every shot from scratch.

If this was a one off, I wouldn't debate it. But, we've done 6 already, and there are rumours of 15-20 more this year. Spend a few days getting the logo the proper blue, and get the lighting at least in the ballpark. That way the next spot might need only 1.5-2 days in flame to tweak, and not re-light & CC every shot.

thanks stwert