Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 05-08-2003 , 12:49 AM
Hey howard you got some mad skills mate.... If you make a freaky character for this set and if i have time (waiting to hear if i get a fulltime job in the next week or so.) we should make a little animation..=)

Awesome stuff mate...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 32 05-08-2003 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
icarus_uk- yep! I actually I stole that trick from someone in another challenge....which leads me to...

fredriksson- hell yeah! I told ya I would steal it from ya' user added imageuser added image

Kurt- Hellllll Yeahhhh bro!!! I am up for anything!!!! good luck on the job BTW.

# 33 05-08-2003 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
Great stuff Howard. See, you don't suck at mechanical things. The way you work, I start to wonder if YOU are a machine user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 34 05-08-2003 , 01:29 AM
Heheheh, If i have time we should come up wiht a little story nothing magor a few cuts would be good for both our reels.

Im praying so hard for this job mate.. full time, cg animator.. wife lost her job and money starting to get tight=(... I really need this to happen.

Only weird thing is, if i get it, I have to learn XSI, but thats good for me to have another program under my belt. ILM using XSI and so does PDI

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 35 05-08-2003 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber
cool! my brain is already working...

you will get it, you are too good not too :thumbsup: what kind of animation, tv stuff, ?

hmm... maybe you will be starting a simplyXSI site? user added image

# 36 05-08-2003 , 01:47 AM
From the sounds of it i will be doing animation for games as cycles then some cut scene work....

Kev's already has me trying to learn Max for simply3dMax...

# 37 05-08-2003 , 03:25 PM
looks great howard, are you gonna animate all the cogs and stuff going round together (sorry if that's already been asked!)

Good luck with the job Kurt, I'm sure you will get it. If you dont I will eat my hat.... user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 38 05-08-2003 , 10:44 PM
hehe thanks Pure_Morning... im trying not to get my hopes up to much but it would me great its just down the road and i dont have to uproot

# 39 06-08-2003 , 12:44 AM
That is awesome. I know I sound like a retard when I say this, and it is off topic, but what does imho mean????

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 40 06-08-2003 , 01:11 AM
Subscriber
in my honest (or humble, it varies) opinion

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 41 06-08-2003 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
witchy-"How did you get that lighting effect?"

It was just two lights- I think they were point lights? but may have been volume... and in the attributes you can change the colors.... I usually use the cheesey old movie style lighting. 3 lights, a white key light @1.2 or so a red and a blur light for rim lighting usually @.5 or so. in the viewport under lights you can check "use all lights" and adjust them in realtime... I dont know if this is a proper trchnique, I guess I should get Mikes lighting tute eh?user added image

Pure_Morning- animate?!?!? are you crazy!! thats your department user added image I guess they would be easier than the zillion spiders you did, but still way too advanced for me user added image

fredriksson- just checked out your site.... great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

ok... did a bit more. I have a bad feeling that I am going to have to reassemble this during the texturing process user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 06-08-2003 , 03:28 AM
Why texture!!!!!!!!! looks great as it is.... you have a few colors burning through but thats easy to fix.. I see an old black and white movie feel mate.. with film scratches

# 43 06-08-2003 , 06:15 AM
Hey Howard.

At the moment this sorta looks a little like a minature, but I bet that'll change when you texture it. I'm with everyone here, it looks great at the moment.

Shock us with the end result... user added image

# 44 06-08-2003 , 01:38 PM

Originally posted by fredriksson
in my honest (or humble, it varies) opinion

Thanks. You learn something new every day.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 45 06-08-2003 , 02:02 PM
there used to be a how to on the alias site on how you can animate gears and stuff. It would do it all for you. It should be too hard. I think if you did them as rigid bodies it would be fine. yeah a rigid body with a nail constraint in the middle of it I think..... I'll have a play and see what I can come up with

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB