Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-10-2004 , 02:57 AM

camera match

im not familiar with trying to camera match something in maya, so i wanna try it now. my question is how do i import an image in my background, so no matter how i move my camera, it will render the same image that i import???
I do NOT want to put the image on a regular plane, cause when my camera moves, so will the image, and 2, i will not be able to get reflections on my glass windows, or anything else that's reflective if i were to put it on a glass window.

so how do i get an image to render in my background, like if were to do a camera match????

Thanks,
strytus
strytus@aol.com

# 2 14-10-2004 , 09:02 AM
you put it as an image plane on your camera.

Camera attributes>> evironment>>image plane >> create

But you dont want to do that, you want to render your elements with an alpha channel and then composite them onto the background in another program. The reason being that if you render your images with your background then you can't change them, you would have to re-render everything again. Also you wont be able to make lighting tweaks etc to the cg elements in the image without affecting the background. Also rendering with a background in slows your render considerably.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 15-10-2004 , 02:52 AM
so basically there's no really good way of doing a cam match in maya????? yes i would want to put an image in my environment AND also have an alpha channel. if anyone is asking why, its because i woud like to have my imported image reflected in my windows... (plural in windows) and anything else that's reflective. But then also to be able to have an that alpha channel to replace the imported image, if need be. (because cam matches dont' always work out exactly as to the photo)

so does anyone else have any suggetions, mayas a powerful program, there has to be another way???

# 4 15-10-2004 , 08:47 AM
ok well you could turn off the primary visibility of the image plane. That way it will be in the reflections but not in the main render and it will give you an alpha channel for the rest of your image. happy now? :p

Alan

IMDB
# 5 18-10-2004 , 02:38 PM
thank you, so much... thank you

# 6 18-10-2004 , 03:27 PM
anytime user added image

user added image
Alan