Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-04-2007 , 12:48 PM

Is there a generic photo shop?

I don't have the money to get PhotoShop and so I'm going to surf the net to find something equivalent in the meantime. Can anyone recommend a suitable application before I aimlessly start downloading who knows what? I've got about $25.00 to spend.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 14-04-2007 , 12:57 PM
What's wrong with Microsoft Paint?

...*snicker* :lmao:

Allright, seriously...

Alias (now Autodesk) might have a freebie version of Sketchbook Pro available to download. It allows full features for 15 non-consecutive days, but after that, it has some limitations applied to it; one being a reduced max resolution (canvas size). It has more-or-less the same tools and capabilities of Photoshop, but its UI is a little less friendly than Photoshop's.

Oh...there's Art Rage; I've heard of it, but I've never seen it in action, or heard anything about it. Only $20, but I'd look for reviews for it before making a decision. You might want to check out some tutorials/demonstrations on how to use it, too.

Here's their site:

https://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

# 3 14-04-2007 , 01:05 PM
Jr.Who

# 4 14-04-2007 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
maybe you should think about 'e-mule'

who said that?

maybe you should try googling for 'free graphics programs.'

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 14-04-2007 at 03:54 PM.
# 5 14-04-2007 , 07:34 PM
severinianthony: Thanks, I'll check them out.

Jr.Who: Thanks, I'll check it out too. And, from what I've seen and heard, I prefer PS as well. I hope to be able to get it by the end of the year.

mirek03: If e-mule is some kind of program, I'll check it out. As far as googling free graphics programs, that was my plan. Just wanted to get some feedback first since I've never used any of them. Thanks.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 17-04-2007 , 05:16 AM
I ended up downloading Art Rage. When I checked out Gimp, it scared me with all the downloading and installation instructions. I tried to download Sketchbook Pro Trial Version first but had problems because of our network.

Art Rage had good reviews but sketchbook pro was still better. Hopefully now I can start figuring out how to texture Rodney in the WIP.

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 17-04-2007 , 01:18 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by vladimirjp; 17-04-2007 at 01:30 PM.
# 8 17-04-2007 , 09:49 PM
thanks vladimirjp. Looks like it has good reviews. I'll try to download it and check it out.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 18-04-2007 , 04:14 AM
Please don't laugh at me, but what exactly do you use photoshop, artrage and all the rest for? (other than bump maps and the mat options (translucence? colour? ambient colour?))
Thanks in advance.
Also, good luck to you Perfecto, you seem to have a good attitude and are determined. Also, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands (downloading and reading reviews for painting programs user added image)
I hope that modelling finds you well user added image
Also, love the "Lack of faith" pic you have
and mirek, I've always liked your picture, although I don't know why you use it user added image

# 10 18-04-2007 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
I like the picture too, I even dont know why I use it.., i used to be a bit of a photographer once, I taught street kids for the government programs a little a long time ago; the photo is one I took and seems to give off some good pride, hope, freedom and the possibility of 'anything can be achieved, no matter what.'

go to digital tutors.com and do a search for Photoshop.., you will see some of the magic of PS and its uses.., also you could buy a mag for $20 concerning photoshop tuts, there's heaps of them, its a pro app that does many differant things depending on what your profession is.., it certainly is not only for maya, that is barely scratching the surface.

user added image

take it easy and life will be easy