Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 16-09-2006 , 02:32 PM
Acid44

HEEEEEELP!!!

im making a few cars and i need to know how to pretty much chop a hole in them say for the lights rather than modeling arond where they go :headbang: it would be much easier to cut out the holes per-sayuser added image user added image user added image

# 2 16-09-2006 , 07:05 PM
Senior Software Developer
The standard way to model a car would be with NURBS curves and lofting and then attaching the surfaces etc.. etc... To cut holes out of geometry you would want to model in polys and use boolean effects. Theres now't wrong with doing that, but you may end up in trouble, if the geometry is not 100% clean.

Have a look online for car modeling tutes to get an idea of the different options available to you.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 17-09-2006 , 12:27 AM
Acid44
cool thanx manuser added image

now what car to make...

# 4 17-09-2006 , 01:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
I personally don't like using booleans all that much because they aren't very clean. Cutting into the geometry and shaping it into what I want has always been the easiest for me. When creating specific parts, I do like to just create them seperately and merge them in. With polys, to create a hole, it's as easy as selecting faces and deleting them.

# 5 17-09-2006 , 02:11 AM
Acid44
ya, im not gonna bother with booleans cause pbman(THANK GOD) sent me a link for a bmw z4 tutorial:attn:

aphex twins-come to daddy acid mix=best song ever!!!

i had to do it

Last edited by Acid44; 17-09-2006 at 03:19 AM.
# 6 17-09-2006 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber
yes i too hate boolean merrly cos they work like 1% of the time an the rest they just screw up

i like to cut holes this way (other than just deleting the faces)

use create polygon tool or a primitive shape and place it band on/next to the geometry delete the faces
now use vert snap (the verts on the boder edged of the hole) and snap them to the new geometry u created this way u get the shap u wanted then just delete the new geo ans tweak the verts on the border edges

thus is very help ful wen u wanna make circle holes in ur geo as ull know that the verts r in the right place to make a perfect circle

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973