SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Any CG mags available?

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

02-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
j5ive
Subscriber

Any CG mags available?
Are there any monthly/ weekly CG magazines available for subscription? As I'm just getting my head around the basics of Maya and would really like a further understanding of the CG world without asking millions of mundane questions on here and then forget the answer in a week or so time.

Thanks.

P.s Preferably a magazine that is readily available in the UK

Apologies for the repeat post, I was not sure which area to post in.
02-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
David
SM Site Programmer

Computer Arts is a nice mag

David
02-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
kennez
Subscriber

If you want a CG magazine, go with 3D World. It's an excellent magazine, and most issues cover Maya in some form or another.

Computer Arts, on the other hand, hardly ever covers 3D (I subscribed for a year, and there was only about 2 3D tutorials).

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
02-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
portermalone
Subscriber

ya. 3d world rocks..
02-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
NitroLiq

HDRI 3D is good also. Used to be Lightwave magazine but now covers all software....I've seen some great maya tuts in there over the past few months. When in doubt, it seems all the UK magazines for 3D, design, music, etc seem better and have more meat to them than the american ones which are too few and far between....and yes, I'm an american. The downside is you end up paying $15 for the mags since they're imported.
03-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
doodle

3D World covers 3D.

Computer Arts covers generally most stuff but tends to have a slight focus on graphics design and illustration.

There's also "Computer Arts Projects", which is a monthly magazine focusing on a specific subject, be it building a portfolio, photo manipulation etc.

There's another one called Digit, which is similar to Computer Arts.
04-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
pbman
Subscriber

i read this thread then went to whsmiths on the way home from school to get a copy of 3d world - but i was shcoked at the price
6 for a mag WTF is gonin on here???????