Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-01-2005 , 05:28 PM

Sub-Division problem!!

Hi everyone.

I'm having a problem converting a polygon surface to sub-divison surface.

The problem is this:

I've duplicated faces from a polygon object, and when I try to convert that faces, that I've duplicated, to a sub-division surface, the faces makes this awful aspect.

I think the problem is that, maya is converting the faces individualy to sub-division surfaces.

Any suggestion a appreciate.

Thanks

Gamester

Attached Thumbnails

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One

Last edited by Gamester; 27-01-2005 at 06:43 PM.
# 2 27-01-2005 , 05:55 PM
Under polygons go to tool options and you will see a option for keep faces together. Click on it and now when you do any face extruding the faces will stay together and not turn into what you have happening in you picture.

The reason why the geometry is doing that is the vertices are not mergeded.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 27-01-2005 , 06:11 PM
Thanks for the help kurt.

But the problem still persist. I've not extruded the faces, I've duplicated them.

How can I put the vertices merged??

I've tryed put , when I duplicate the faces, the option "separate duplicated faces" off, and what happens is that, maya considerate the duplicated faces and the object (the object that I've dupicated the faces) the same object.

Thanks for the help kurtuser added image user added image user added image user added image

Gamester

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 4 27-01-2005 , 06:22 PM
right click on the geomerty select vertices then go to edit polygons> merge vertices >option box and boost up the number to 2.000 then select evey pair of vertices and merge them together. This will merge them together to make on piece of geo.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 5 27-01-2005 , 06:47 PM
Thanks Kurt.

I solved the problem. That merge vertices really helps. Thanks

Thanksuser added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image user added image

Gamester

# 6 28-01-2005 , 05:07 PM
Thanks for the help kurt.

Noe I've other problem. (sorry if hasking to much help, but its because it's my first model that I'm making without a help of a tutorial.

When I've converted the polygons to Sub-D, maya make this strange formation of the edges and vertex

I noticed that when a face has more or less than 4 vertex, maya makes this strange form.

Thanks for all the help.

Gamester

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 28-01-2005 , 05:12 PM
Post a poly picture of the same geo... look like you might have a fweextra vertices hanging around.. But it might be ok sub-ds do that some times and there is no problem

# 8 28-01-2005 , 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Kurt
Post a poly picture of the same geo... look like you might have a fweextra vertices hanging around.. But it might be ok sub-ds do that some times and there is no problem

Is there anyway to to convert polygons to Sub-D without make that effect, without deleting some vertices???

Thanks for the help user added image user added image

Gamester

Last edited by Gamester; 29-01-2005 at 09:18 AM.
# 9 29-01-2005 , 10:53 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm having another problem in my caruser added image user added image

Well this time is a display option, that I don't know where is.

The problem is this, when I combine the faces from the front bumper, maya don't shade the back of the front bumper. And I'll loved to knoe where is the option to turn on or off, to maya don't make that effect.

Thanks for all the help.

Gamester

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 30-01-2005 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
look in Maya's help file for back-face culling

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 11 30-01-2005 , 09:55 PM
Hi

Thanks for the help mhcannon, I've searched in the maya's help file for "Back-Face Culling", and I didn't find nothing, only when I searched for "Backface Culling", I've found what I want.

As the help file says, to click the option "Backface Culling" in the "Shading Menu" from the "view panel". But nothing happens.

Probably I'm making something wrong but I don't know what.user added image user added image user added image

But anyway thanks for the help mhcannon.

Thanks

Gamester

# 12 31-01-2005 , 07:13 AM
Subscriber
That's definite culling. You may have it set for that specific object. Select the fender, then check Display-->Custom Polygon Display-->options box. Under the backface culling setting see if it is set for Wire. That seems to give the effect you're having and overrides the panel shading menu option. If that's not it, let me know and dig deeper.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 13 03-02-2005 , 06:45 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
If your Back face culling doesnt work, go to the attribute editor under Render Stats> Double Sided

_J

# 14 16-05-2005 , 05:40 AM
I'm learning maya just now!but prop up!